Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween

Oh, did I forget the "Happy"? Darn.

For a Halloween Grinch such as myself, I sure got pretty involved with Halloween this year. It was a labor of love, if I do say so.

Or a Trick. (no treat here)

I had the pleasure of helping my mother-in-law with a six-year-old birthday party on Friday night. There were seven guests (Emily Post would be proud) and boy oh boy... no words can really describe the chaos. Five-and-six-year-olds, you know.

This Grinch spent the day making mini BBQ hot dogs bloody toes, open faced quesadillas with three cheeses candy corn sandwiches, mini bagels mummy sandwiches, string cheese witch fingers, and a graveyard scene cake. We played pumpkin punch (punching a pumpkin (helium) balloon which was weighed down with a canned good), spider ring toss, and enjoyed swinging a wooden bat at a pinata. Yes, we gave hyped up six-year-olds a wooden bat.

And, in the spirit of trying-to-be-a-good-parent, I was enthusiastic enough to borrow (at the last minute) Rylan's old dragon costume for Abby to wear trunk-or-treating tonight (so un-crafty of me... no regrets). She was sweaty before I even started to put it on her. Welcome to Savannah, would you like some humidity and 85 degree weather?

Maybe next year I will be a better mom and plan my kids' outfits in advance. Maybe they will even coordinate. But probably not.... sorry girls.

Not really.

The witch fingers aren't shown, but they were string cheese with half an olive on the top to look like a fingernail, and little cuts made in the middle to look like a knuckle.

If I have to hear "Ghostbusters" or "Monster Mash" one more time, so help me...



3 comments:

Tiffany -- the mommy said...

Hey Hannah if you guys want to come to New Orleans with Garrett you are more than welcome to stay here.... We would love to have you! Keyth loves P90X and he is getting buff on it! Hope y'all are well!

Emma and John said...

RYLAN is SO cute! I love his costume- Abby's is cute too :). You are totally a scrooge! You need to learn to love Halloween. Just let it happen, Hannibal.

mary said...

For hating halloween, you sure did some cute stuff! I'm glad you left a comment on mine, now I can check out your blog!
I love all your pics!