Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Disney Princess 10k

                    
My friend Stef and I ran a 10k at Disney World last Saturday morning.

We left on Friday afternoon, after divvying out our kids to several different people until our husbands got home from work (her husband is a resident also, and she has 4 kids).  I wish I could say that the drive down was uneventful but it was pretty crazy!  First of all, it was raining pretty hard for part of the freeway driving which made me pretty anxious.  Then, we saw the two cars in front of us get into an accident.  So, we came to a stop behind them, but unfortunately we were in the lefthand lane of the 3-lane freeway.  Thankfully the car behind us also stopped, but that's where our luck ended.  The car behind him came barreling into him, but through some miracle we still didn't get hit by the person behind us.  Then, another crash and another crash... we just heard car after car getting hit.  Soon there was just a huge pileup behind us, plus the two cars in front of us.... and we were in the middle, untouched.  It was crazy, and scary.  I don't think anyone was hurt -- from what we could see, cars were just rear-ended and no one was smashed up badly. 

We drove to the expo, where we picked up our running gear.  Then, we headed over to the Magic Kingdom!  Stef is a huge fan of Disney; in fact, her whole family had Disney Annual Passes even when they lived in Wisconsin for medical school!  Haha.  We spent a couple of hours at the Magic Kingdom doing the bigger rides, then headed back to our hotel room for a couple hours of sleep before our race. (Incidentally, we were rear-ended on our way to the hotel!  Thankfully there wasn't much damage, which is especially good because the other car sped away before we could get any info from him)

Saturday morning we woke up early (3:45 am!) and headed to Disney World for the race (which started at 5:30 am).  We were done by 6:30 and headed right back to the hotel to shower and change (Garrett brought the kids down and we took them to Disney for the day -- blog post soon!).

All in all, it was a fun time.  I didn't do very well on the run -- probably a combination of lack of sleep and a few other things.  To be honest, I didn't love it, because I really don't love running!  But it was a fun experience and I'm glad it's behind me.  Stef is already trying to get me to run a half marathon with her next year but I don't see that happening (she runs 3-4 Disney halfs a year).  I don't feel like I have the time to train for a half marathon, or really much of a desire for that matter.

But hey, I got a pretty medal, which the girls loved wearing around the park that day.

And finally, a shirt at the expo that I wanted to buy for Garrett.  Oh, he would have loved this, don't you think??

No comments: