Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Doe River Gorge

Something that's pretty fun about living around here is that there are a good number of hiking paths within about 30-40 minutes.  A few weeks ago, Garrett had a random day off during the week so we decided to check out a new trail.



This one is called Doe River Gorge, and it's a converted Rails to Trails.  It was a perfect day for walking/hiking - in the low 60s and sunny (but shady along the trail).  It wasn't my favorite trail -- the "rails" are still there so it was kind of awkward to walk.  At some parts there wasn't much space to walk on the outside of the tracks, so we were stuck walking between the rails which is always a little awkward because then you have to really watch where you are stepping so you don't trip on the ties.  So, I felt like I spent most of the hike looking down to see where I was walking (which wasn't easy since I was wearing Henry in front of me), instead of looking all around at the scenery. Which was okay, because it's winter and it wasn't all that gorgeous right now, mostly just a bunch of dead trees.  But I bet in the summer and fall it's just beautiful - I do want to go back for that.




There were some fun tunnels we walked through.  Olivia liked that.  I'm always fascinated walking along railroad tracks, imagining them being build by hand over 100 years ago.  I can't fathom how long it took them, and how much effort that had to go into grading the ground, blowing out rocks, digging out tunnels, building bridges.  It's pretty neat.

Olivia really liked throwing rocks at the icicles and knocking them down so they would shatter to the ground:

All in all, a really nice morning.  We stopped at a little hole-in-the-wall Mexican place near our house for lunch, we had never been there before.  It was pretty good, and we definitely want to go back!  It's pretty authentic so it was a little hard to order (no prices listed anywhere, most menu items didn't seem familiar to me), but the chips and salsa were great and that's what's most important to me at Mexican restaurants.

It sure is nice when Garrett gets those random days off!  We try to make the most of them.

No comments: