Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Halloween Grinch

"Do you like Halloween, Hannah?" Garrett's 5-year-old brother asked me over the weekend. I wondered if I should break the truth to him.

There are few things I hate. Very few. Sure, I dislike a fair amount of things, just like anyone else, but "hate" is reserved for special things, like pork & beans (gag) and maroon walls. And Halloween.

Yes, I hate Halloween. I think it's obnoxious - kids go door to door and beg for candy? I don't even LIKE candy (chocolate, yes. Candy, no). I just don't understand why people love it so much... really, someone please enlighten me. Plus I can't ever really think of anything to dress Abby up as (Last year she was Little Red Riding Hood and that was cute, but this year I'm drawing a blank. To be honest I'm not even thinking about it that much). I don't like witches, goblins, spooky things. They just don't appeal to me.

Garrett, on the other hand, loves Halloween. He likes to think of ways to scare the kids that come to our door, and he LOVES carving pumpkins (I actually like that part too. I don't ever carve a pumpkin, but I like seeing what Garrett comes up with). Garrett is like a kid when Halloween rolls around.

And Rylan (Garrett's little brother) is obsessed with Halloween - more than anyone I've ever met. It falls near his birthday, so the two are pretty much related every year. That's why I hesitated to tell him about my true feelings for Halloween-I don't want him to take it personally. The whole time he was here visiting, all he talked about were ghosts, and his upcoming party which is Halloween themed.

I'm not a complete hater. Things I do love right now: autumn. leaves changing colors and falling to the ground. apple cider and doughnuts. hay rides. scarecrows. corn mazes (ok, I've never been to one, but I've always wanted to!). pumpkins. mums. chili cook-offs (but not the cornbread...ugh). Cool, crisp weather. Sweaters and scarves. Apple picking.

So, don't feel too bad for my kids. Sure, their mom isn't into Halloween but I think Garrett's enthusiasm will make up for it. Now, about those costumes... any ideas?

5 comments:

Rachelle said...

Boo to all you Halloween haters. I love it, Bobby hates it. Like you said... at least one of us likes it. Sorry no costume ideas, I still don't have one for Carter.

Andrea said...

I have a lady bug costume that would fit Abby if you want to borrow it. I already gave you the black pants in that bag of clothes, so all she would need is a white, black, or red shirt to go under it. It is kind of like a sweatshirt. I also have a sleeper that has a Bear dressed as a Mummy and it says, "I love my Mummy", that might fit Ellie. It is size 3-6 months. I have another Halloween sleeper that has cute little Halloween candies on it that you could borrow too. Just let me know!

Shelby said...

Hannah I think I've found my soulmate. I HATE Halloween. I despise scary movies and tacky house decorations. And I have been proudly declaring it this year. So I guess I need to find a garrett so my kids are not bumming car rides off of other parents to go trick or treating.

Shauna said...

Amen! Hannah, I am NOT a Halloween fan. I like the idea of costumes because growing up we had a huge costume closet and were allowed to dress up all the time. So, the idea of a day to dress up just isn't that big of a deal to me. I just hate all the spooky reveling...it just isn't fun to me. And I hate how it seems like everyone else loves Halloween. I don't know exactly why it bothers me so much but I was so glad when I read your post -- I am not alone. I still don't know what I am dressing the boys up as this year. I have a Pooh costume with no legs and a Lion costume without legs. I also have a pea in a pod baby costume which I think Hamilton will use this year. Who know?

Anonymous said...

i DO like the tootsie rolls...