Sunday, March 21, 2010

Match Day, by the numbers

We started the day with a brunch at someone's house, then all headed down to MCG for the big ceremony/party.  Afterwards we went to another person's house and spent the afternoon/evening hanging out.  The Match Day theme was "marathon", hence all the workout attire.

100 - percent chance that you will give in to peer pressure and cut your hair in a strange way (especially when your med school career is basically over anyway)  Brunch was crazy, to say the least.

1988 - the year I thought it was when I saw these guys

18 - radiology spots that Garrett ranked
8 - transitional/intern year spots ranked
170 - people in Garrett's 4th year class
about 120 - people who got their envelopes before Garrett (they pull them out of a big pile, in random order)
#1 - the spot Garrett got for radiology (Gainesville, FL)
#2 - the spot Garrett got for his transitional year (Newport News, VA)
3 - people we know coming with us to Newport News
about 1000 - high fives, shouts of joy, and hugs
(I still need a pic of Will and Paige!)
6 - different places we will all be scattered for the next couple of years
12 - ecstatic (and nervous!) people, ready for the next stage of our lives!
(Justin & Lindsay - Roanoke, VA and Memphis TN; Garrett & Hannah - Newport News, VA and Gainesville, FL; Rob & Haley - Newport News, VA and Charleston, SC; Rick & Kristin - Asheville, NC; Will & Paige - Kansas City, KS; Andrew & Jessica - Winston-Salem, NC)

Match Day was really one of the most fun, exciting days of my life!  Being in that auditorium with all those fourth year medical students opening their match envelopes was so neat.  There were lots of tears (mostly happy from what I saw).  It was just such a cool experience, and MCG did a great job of celebrating their students' achievements.  I am so proud of Garrett and what he has accomplished - I can't believe graduation is just around the corner!

7 comments:

mary said...

So excited for you guys! Sounds like it was fun. We're glad you won't be too far away!

flask said...

congratulations! good luck on the road ahead.

Lauren in GA said...

So, you will go to Florida first and then Virginia?

Cioara Andrei said...

Foarte interesant subiectul postat de tine. M-am uitat pe blogul tau si imi place si am sa mai revin sa-l vizitez. O zi buna

sos said...

Congratulations!! The rash I told you about is spreading. Call me!!

sos said...

I noticed you're reading the trilogy of Josephine. I read them and enjoyed them. Also, did you get your Asics yet? Any housing finds in NN?

Michelle said...

YAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!! Way to go, Garrett! This is great news. :)