Virginia Beach, June 2010
(yes, Abby had to go to the bathroom!)
Something that's driving me crazy lately is that Abby is having a problem distinguishing between interrogative pronouns (who, where, what, when, why... and no, I didn't remember what they were called, I had to look that up. Thanks internet!).
Here's an example of how a conversation with her will go:
Hannah: Abby, do you want to come in the kitchen and help me make some cookies?
Abby: Where?
Hannah: In the kitchen.
Abby: Where??
Hannah: In the KITCHEN!
Abby: WHERE?
Hannah: cookies?
Abbie: ok!!
Or another example:
Hannah: Abby, lunchtime!
Abby: Who?
Hannah: umm.... lunch.
Abby: WHO?? (she's getting frustrated now)
Hannah: It's time for lunch.
Abby: WHO??
By this time I'm so annoyed that I just ignore her. I have no idea what she is asking me and it's driving me nuts! This happens all the time now. And ideas of a good way to teach kids the difference between them all, or is it just something that eventually comes to them?
In other news, we went to the beach a week or two ago and the girls had a great time. Ellie took a couple face-dives into the sand and didn't seem to mind at all. It was a great day, made complete by 2-for-1 fish tacos and a great night's sleep.


5 comments:
Ugh, that would be frustrating. I don't have any advice for you, since Carter is not there yet. I also have trouble with Carter understanding the difference between me, you, I, my, mine, yours, his (anything possessive) If he wants to ask if something is for him he'll say, "Carterboy my?" or if he is asking if it is mine he'll say "Mommy Shauna my?" Also if he sees a picture of himself he'll say "You!" instead of "Me!" I hope these things will come with time, because sometimes it is hard to understand him and I feel like an interpreter when we are out in public.
The pictures of the kids are so cute and it looks like you guys had a great time at the beach. Shelbs and I took the kids this weekend (only our second time this year) and they both had a blast. I was worried that Carter would be a runner, but he was very content to stay put digging and playing. If I'm feeling really adventurous I may take them by myself, but for now, I like going with someone else for an extra set of eyes and hands. Courtney is coming out to visit in August and she wants to spend lots of time at the beach, so I am looking forward to that.
that picture of ellie looks JUST like garrett to me! we miss you! the girls miss abby!
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Virginia Beach....
I guess I would say, "Are you asking me WHAT we are eating, not WHERE?
Your girls are so beautiful. Even with sand from a face plant.
Cute pictures. Spencer does the same thing Shauna said Carter's doing. He'll say "Spencer I want to ride my bike" and "Daddy I pick you up" (distinguishing between the Spencer I and the Daddy I, of course). I can only imagine it must be so confusing for them. But the interrogative confusion cracks me up. Best of luck working that one out. :)
I'm sure that has to be annoying but it sure is hilarious to read about! I just wanted to post because I'd been thinking about you and hope you're settling in well...
Post a Comment