Thursday, January 13, 2011

A couple things...

-Ellie is on an eating strike.  She hasn't eaten a full meal in about a week.  She's also been waking up and crying about 5 times a night.  At first it was because she was teething, so I would go in there and give her some medicine and a drink and that would calm her right down.  However, now I am pretty sure she's just waking up out of habit.  I would ignore her, but I feel so bad for Abby having to share a room with her!  Thankfully it's getting better though... last night she only woke up twice.  And now she's mostly just waking up before midnight, which is nice because usually I haven't gone to bed yet.  Either way though, it's pretty annoying.  She's NOT a newborn, she shouldn't be acting like one by getting up multiple times a night.

-I am no longer working in the Primary at Church.  I was sad to be done with singing time but they needed me somewhere else... Young Womens to be exact.  I am the first counselor, which means I'll be mostly working with the 14-15 year old girls.  I don't know any of the girls so I'm a bit anxious and I feel very overwhelmed.  I will also have to take the kids with me to many activities and youth nights which I am not looking forward to.  But we are only here for 5 more months and I suppose I can do anything for that long.

-I gained 1.5 lbs over Christmas break.  Thankfully most of it is gone.  It took me about a week after being home to get back into my healthy eating/exercise groove but it's finally back.  Now if only Haley will stop making yummy treats...

-I just got a property tax bill for our cars.  Maybe I'm naive but I had no idea that property taxes on cars were so expensive... we owe $300!  I am NOT happy.  They charged me for the entire 2010 year, so I need to call them and tell them to adjust the bill for when I actually moved here.  I don't remember ever paying property taxes for our cars in Georgia.... either they don't charge it, or I am on a "Wanted" sign down there somewhere.

-I made this black bean & salsa soup for dinner a few nights ago and it was really good.  I don't think Garrett enjoyed it as much as I did (too spicy) but I loved it.  It was fast, easy, filling, and low on calories.  I'll definitely be making it again.

-Abby has watched "Toy Story 2" every day for about a week now.  I love those movies (and clearly she does, too!)... we still have to see the third one though.  It's on our Netflix queue.

-We are almost done with season 6 of "24".  It is intense!  I love it.

-I called the pediatrician's office last month and scheduled checkups for the girls.  They were supposed to be last week, but I called the day before their appointments to ask a question about Abby's shots (when I took Abby to get her flu shot in Dec, they told me she also needed to re-do her Hep B shot because it was originally given a few weeks too early (when she was 4 months old instead of 6 months).  I am very angry at the Augusta pediatrician's office, if this is true.  I need to call them and ask if they are messing up on all their patients.  Plus, this happened 3.5 years ago.... and it's just now getting noticed?)

Anyway, I asked about that shot, and as I was about to hang up I said, "Well okay, we can re-do Abby's Hep B tomorrow when she gets her other shots at her 4 year appointment, right?"  They said, "no problem."  But then I asked, "So, this is all okay, even though she won't be 4 for another couple of weeks?"

"Oh, no," they said, "She has to be 4 to get her 4-year-old shots.  If you come tomorrow and have them done, your insurance won't cover them, AND she will have to have them re-done after she turns four."

So of course, we rescheduled their appointments and we'll be going in after she turns 4.  But I'm just SO ANNOYED at them because THEY scheduled her appointment! THEY gave me the date to bring in the girls, I didn't ask for that particular date.  I am so glad that I cleared that up before dragging them all the way down there at 8 in the morning.  And for the life of me I can't figure out why I didn't get angry at them on the phone and say, "Um, you scheduled this appointment.  I would NOT have paid for those shots, just so you know.  And I would have been very annoyed if my 4-year-old little girl had to get shots twice because you screwed up." But of course, all I said was "thank you very much for rescheduling" and hung up the phone. (I hate myself for that)

I guess the moral of this long-winded story is that *I* am in charge of my health care.  No one is going to look out for me (or my kids) better than I am.  I am in charge of knowing when my kids need shots, what shots they need, when their appointments should be, etc.  I guess I just need to be more informed and more involved.  Let this be a lesson to everyone!

And, I need to quit being such a pushover sometimes.  Should I bring this to their attention when we go in for shots in a few weeks, or is it too late?

Maybe I can practice my aggression when I call their old pediatrician's office and ask why the heck Abby's Hep B was 2 months too early.

-And finally.... my dad + facebook = hilarious.  But he doesn't have his own account so he does everything under my mom's name.  It's pretty funny.

2 comments:

sos said...

The shot story - does that mean they would have given her two shots of the same medicine - one now because of her appointment, and one after she turned four because she turned four? That makes no sense at all - that's double what she needs! Someone doesn't know what they are talking about. You are right - you need to be aggressive and informed about your child's health care.

BWei said...

I have had a similar "enlightening" experience at the doctor when I wasn't my own advocate and just did what the doctor said, only to find out my bill was HUGE since it wasn't covered by insurance. It is disconcerting to think that the doctor's office isn't infallible and makes so many mistakes! Of course, Garrett's office won't be like that. :-)