We had a really nice 4th of July here in Florida. Our city did their fireworks on the 3rd, so we headed to campus with our camp chairs and blankets and had a great time with friends from the ward. There was a live band and the kids had fun running around with their friends, waiting for dark.
I have to admit... the fireworks were pretty lame and only lasted about 10 minutes (my hometown where I grew up had bigger productions than this!) but they were still fun and the girls loved them. Although, Ellie was a bit frightened at first. About a minute into the show, I looked down at her (sitting on a blanket in front of me) and she was just staring at the fireworks, sobbing! This was kind of shocking (she's our little daredevil) but I will always welcome any excuse to pull her onto my lap and snuggle her. She was fine after that and loved the show.
The next night, our friends down the street had their annual "Cul-de-sac of Fire". There was a huge turnout and it was a great party! And go ahead and make fun of the goggles, but you probably would have done the same thing if there were dozens of kids running around with sparklers! In fact, many other kids were asking me if I had any more for them to wear. They were just the free goggles from Lowe's (or Home Depot?) from when they do the kids' craft. Thankfully, the girls loved wearing them so it wasn't a battle to keep them on.
This is how Ellie sat, even when no fireworks were going off.
I have to admit... for the most part, I really dislike "home" fireworks (like these above, and sparklers). I think they are an unnecessary risk and way too many people don't take proper precautions. However, I'm trying to not be such a stick-in-the-mud and we had a really good time (and I watched my kids like a hawk when they had their sparklers!).

1 comment:
Great pictures...everyone is so photogenic with great smiles. We miss all of you!
Post a Comment