Friday, October 5, 2012

101 Update

Originally, #32 on my goal list was to paint/refinish an old dresser I have.  We've had it since we got married (and I'm pretty sure it's one that I had growing up), and it's nice and solid and definitely a keeper.  It was in our bedroom in Utah, then Georgia, then Virginia, and all that time I wanted to do something with it but just never got around to it.

So, when I made my 101 goals, I figured that I should finally get it done.  However, it's not really a priority anymore because #1 - it's inside our walk-in closet now, so it's not really part of our "bedroom decor", so I don't care how ugly it is.  And #2 - I have done a couple other furniture refinishing/painting projects over the last year and I've decided that I really don't like doing it!  I'm not patient or meticulous enough to do a very good job.

That being said, I did swap this out for a different furniture-painting project... one that I cared about a lot more, so I really tried to be patient and make it look nice.  I painted the crib yellow, and I think it turned out really well:

I used spray paint, and actually enjoyed this project more than I thought I would.  It was a little bit frustrating that I had to use so much paint (a ton just went flying into the air, between those darn spindles), but it was all worth it in the end.

Another goal that I feel like we can safely cross off the list is #38, Teach Abby to read.  She got pretty good over the summer with me, but she has improved significantly since she started kindergarten.  I'm actually pretty shocked with how well she's done.  Garrett and I are really proud of her!  She can read several books now, only needing help once in a while with a word here or there.  It's so much fun to see her reading and she seems to really love it.

No comments: