Friday, October 11, 2013

Another project


I was recently commissioned to repair a couple of 30-year-old baby quilts.  They were falling apart and the old batting was matted and bunched up inside. I cut little slits in the back and pulled out all the old batting, then just treated them like quilt tops.  I sandwiched them with new batting and a new back, then hand quilted over all the old hand quilting so that it showed up on the new back. I also put on a new binding, and there were some parts that needed small repairs so I did that too.  It was a lot of work, but really enjoyable because I just did it in the evenings while I watched a show or talked with Garrett, or while I was at book club or whatever.  I love projects that are portable like that, and I loved seeing how well they turned out.  They were as good as new!  I just finished them a few days ago and brought them over to the owner and she was so happy.  Her kids were actually in town also so they got to see them while I was there and it was so rewarding to see their reactions.  They all loved them.  The owner even told me that she wants me to make some quilts for her! I would love that.  I've been saving up for a new sewing machine and this job easily gave me the remainder of the money I have been needing.  Now I just need to pull the trigger and buy it!

I'm so grateful my mom taught me how to quilt.  She helped me make my first quilt when I was in high school and of course I still have it!  Quilts are such treasures.

An "up close" shot of the process:

2 comments:

sos said...

What a great job...those quilts will last much longer now after your many hours of labor. Have fun with your new machine!!

Jon and Molly Knight said...

Good job Hannah! I need to learn how to quilt, after seeing all the cute ones you make (and repair)!