Friday, June 13, 2008

Flashback Friday - "From Cumorah's Hill" - 1997


In July of 1997, the youth in our stake performed "From Cumorah's Hill", a musical presentation with a chorus, soloists, and readers. It was an incredible experience.

As I listened again to our program the other day (we recorded it on CD's), I was brought back. I remember piling into our leaders' cars and making the monthly trips down to the Portsmouth building for rehearsals, which were always fun. We had 30 youth from our ward participate, which was great!! We'd divide into singing parts, and I remember sometimes I would play the piano for my group. That was back in the day when, for some strange reason, I thought I was a soprano. In fact, after listening to the CD, I'm convinced that probably half the girls who sang soprano in that program should have probably been singing alto! There are some pretty high notes!

I love the "From Cumorah's Hill" program. It's a testimony of the divinity of the Book of Mormon and how it can help us in our day. The first track of our CD is President Pouliot speaking about this, and I just love it. I have always loved hearing him speak, and that also takes me back because he was my stake president throughout most of my youth.

One funny little story: just the other day I was reading through an old journal (I was de-cluttering, and when I came across it I just had to read for a while!). Anyway, we didn't get the From Cumorah's Hill CD's until about a year later (at our 1998 Youth Conference, actually). Here's a short paragraph from my journal (please note, I am only 14):

"We got back from swimming and went to the Church building and guess what! THE "FROM CUMORAH'S HILL CD'S WERE IN!!! Last year they said we'd get them before the end of summer, then it was Christmas. Next President H moved and everyone gave up hope. I am so happy! They sound ok. The audience is kinda loud. Let me just say, THE PERFORMANCE WAS BETTER. We listened to the CD while we had root beer floats and watched the movie of the day's work. It's been almost a year exactly since the performance. When we found out they came in, Courtney and I ran to find Shauna. She and Katie were in the bathroom. We said 'Guess what!!' They were like, 'What?!' We said better than boys, and better than money. They couldn't guess. COME ON! We told them about the CD's."

Maybe I should share journal entries more often... they're pretty funny. And embarrassing. And that's a good combination, if you ask me.


3 comments:

Abs said...

I love that: "better than boys" I was SO boy crazy at that age. Seriously, it controlled my life. I was pathetic. Anyway, good post!

Court said...

Didn't we really say that? I don't remember it at all. We were so lame, but honestly, not that much has changed, we just don't get the chance to be lame together anymore.

Lauren in GA said...

I love these posts. I love your journal excerpt..."Guess what!!They were like, What?!" So cute to read what you wrote!

I am with Abs'...I love the, "better than boys" part, too!