Monday, June 16, 2008

Some advice, please!

This Thursday, my parents are coming down to watch Abby while Garrett and I go on vacation for NINE NIGHTS! Can you believe I'm leaving my baby for so long? Thinking about driving away and leaving her behind makes me want to cry! Sometimes when I leave to go to the gym in the evenings, she stands in the front doorway behind the glass door, waving to me, and it breaks my heart.... and I'm only going to be 1 mile away, for an hour! This time, we'll be gone for 212 hours, and we'll be about 4600 miles away (we're going to Maui!!).

Do any of you have experience with leaving your kids that you'd like to share? Is there anything we can do to make it easier? I mean, I'm telling myself that it's really good for her to spend so much time with my parents (and it is), and it's really good for Garrett and me to get away together. But we have never left her overnight before, and it's tough!

Don't get me wrong... I am SO excited for this trip. I am excited to have Garrett all to myself (we'll be with his family, but still). I'm daydreaming of sleeping in... evening walks on the beach... napping on the beach... just taking care of myself and no one else... and best of all, doing ANYTHING I WANT TO on the plane! It's a very long trip to get there, and just the thought of THAT was enough for us to decide not to bring her. She'd still be on our laps, and that would just be too hard. Additionally, there's a pretty drastic time change, and that would be really rough on her. When we went to UT in April she never really adjusted to the short time change, so that was another big factor for us.
So anyway, I'd love some advice. We're going to be bringing Garrett's laptop, which has a webcam, so that will be nice. Also, having her stay in our home with my parents helps a lot too - she'll be in an environment where she is comfortable, with people who will do a good job.

Wish us luck with leaving her! Now excuse me while I go shed a few tears in anticipation...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes missing your baby is good for you. : )

Abs said...

I agree with ali-kat. It's good for you as a mom to realize that you LOVE being a mom.

Something I have had to do is STOP WORRYING. Once I walk out the door there is NOTHING I can do to change whatever is going to happen with the kids. So I just don't think about it at all. Faith.

Shauna said...

Mike and I both lost it BIG TIME when we left Carter in Utah while we started the road trip to NH. He was with my mom, but it was still very hard to leave him. The trip was much easier without him in the car with us and that is what I had to focus on when I missed him. When I picked him up at the airport three days later I pushed two people out of the way to grab him and hold him very tight. I agree with the other posters that it will make you realize even more how much you love being a mom. Enjoy your time with Garrett. You both deserve it.

Emma and John said...

When we left Chris last year it was hard for me too! I called Christy every day to see how he was doing. You might not be able to do that, but you know she is in good hands- and you know this is good for her to be with other people. Maybe it will help with her transition into nursery- finding out that it's ok not to be with the two of you all the time!

Lauren in GA said...

Push away the guilt!!! I know it is so much easier said than done but...the absence will be good for you and Garrett and will make your heart grow even fonder for littke Abby, as they say. I know it isn't easy, though.