Since our stake here did a "mini" youth conference last week, I've been thinking back to my experiences when I was a teenager. All our activities were memorable, but one of my favorites was my very first one - "Find the Real You: Building our Field of Dreams". We stayed in Exeter for the 2.5 days doing projects on our Stake Center's property. We built a baseball diamond, built dugouts with benches, painted a pavilion, built horseshoe games, and even put in a volleyball pit with sand. There was also a small bridge built going over a little stream (shown above), and we painted a chain-link fence green (there was a very difficult neighbor who complained that the silver was too shiny and distracting).I've done a lot of work in my life, including lots of physical labor, but this set a new record. There was so much work to, and it was tough! We hauled rocks, dug holes, painted. It was really hard, but so much fun. I was assigned to the dugouts, and would you believe that the posts of the benches go down 4 feet into the ground?? It was a lot of work.
On the last day, all the families of the youth were invited to come for a BBQ and to check out all the things we had done. It was the perfect ending to a perfect weekend.









How did we get away with wearing such short shorts to YC?? :)

6 comments:
I know I missed this, but I can't remember where I was. Do you?
I always wished I had been old enough to do this Youth Conference. I was so jealous at the BBQ when I saw what you had done. I can't believe how young you look!
Come on Hannah...our shorts weren't that short. We were doing manual labor, and it was pretty hot out there. It's not like we looked hot or anything. I don't think any of the boys would have gone for us the way we looked those 3 days...gross! It was fun though. It was our first YC, wasn't it? Probably the best.
May I remind you how hard it was to find longer shorts in those days. City shorts didn't become popular outside Utah until 2-3 years ago. Now I have a ton of them.
they let you have such short shorts because you were making up for it by wearing such a HUGE shirt
I am kind of chuckling at the grumpy and difficult neighbor that thought that the silver fence was, "too shiny and distracting". Good grief.
Is it hard to paint a chain link fence? Did you use rollers or paint brushes or spray paint?
Post a Comment