Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A decision?


Garrett is finishing up his 4-week radiology rotation, and he loved it. He is 90% sure he wants to pursue radiology as a career.

I'm very excited about it, but obviously nothing is certain, so we'll see if something comes along that he likes better. But, I love this choice because radiology is extremely family-friendly, both as a residency and as a career (unlike other things, such as surgery... I once heard of a surgery residency program that prided itself on a 100% divorce rate among its residents, it was so rough).

Anyway, Garrett really likes radiology. The technology is really neat, and there are many things he could do within the specialty. This is a great relief to Garrett that he's found something he likes so much. He used to be worried that he wouldn't fall in love with anything, but now we know there is at least ONE specialty he would love to do. Now we'll just have to wait and see if anything else can top it!

8 comments:

Ashley said...

I just had some x-rays performed yesterday. At one point, the technician and her assistant went back into her booth to take a look at the x-rays and make sure she'd gotten good views. All of a sudden I hear, "Oooh! Wow," and from the other technician, "Yeah, oooh!" and I'm thinking, "Great, my spine must really be messed up!" until the first technician added, "Yeah, I'm good." Great. Just let Garrett know that if he's celebrating, he should do it clearly so as not to worry his poor patients. :)

Aleasha said...

that is awesome!!!! yeah to the family friendly residency!

Abs said...

I thought he felt the same way after Orthopedics? Is there a trend going on here? :)

Mike S. said...

Hmmmm. X-rays can see through clothes? I think I want to be a radiologist too.

Bobby said...

All I know is that every time I have gotten an X-Ray I never saw the radiologist. Some tech took the thing and then my ortho doctor told me the results. So any job that works that few hours, gets paid that much money, and seemingly does nothing at all seems like a good call to me. You win again Garrett.....you always do!

Lauren in GA said...

Ohhhhhhh! Family friendly is always an awesome choice!

Mike and Ariane said...

Hi (Cameron's here from the Somersworth ward), Mike works in HR at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, he's always looking to hire radiologists (they make good money, too)...if he needs a job when he finishes, give Mike a call! :-)

J.F. said...

I work for the dept. of radiology at the U. Most of them seem to be pretty nice guys (and pretty well off too, so that's not bad).