Last year I made quilts for Garrett's sisters for Christmas. I love making quilts. In fact, sometimes it's very hard to give them away - especially this year. I loved them so much! This year, I made quilts for my own side of the family.
I made this quilt for my brother's wife Shauna. I decided to have lavender be my main color, because I remembered that she used to have a lavender bedspread so I knew she liked the color. I accented it with mint green and gray. I used the "Turning Twenty" pattern and added white sashing to make it bigger. I love using white/cream fabric now because it really helps the patterned fabrics pop, plus you can make bigger quilts for less money.I quilted all the quilts with just a simple vertical stripe. My sewing machine isn't really equipped to allow me to do much else with quilts this size.
I love the back as much as I love the front! It's a gray fabric with quarter-sized polka dots, with a strip of blocks down the middle.
I made this quilt for my sister Emma. I just cut up a bunch of 2" strips and made log cabin blocks. She wanted pinks, and I love the finished look!
I used the remainder of my polka dot fabric on the back, along with a pink fade-to-white fabric. In the center are some leftover 2" strips from the front.
This is Molly's quilt. She wanted blue and white. I wish I could have made all the pinwheels the same size, but I didn't have enough fabric! I think it worked out okay, though. Just don't look too closely... I am NOT a perfectionist, and I am horrible at matching up all those corners!! I am just too eager to see the finished product that I don't always take the time to pin like I should.
She has a "solid" back (no stripe like Emma's and Shauna's), and I used a blue and teal binding to coordinate with both sides.
Mom wanted an Amish quilt. Basically, this just means that I used black fabric instead of white, and that the colors are all solid, jewel tones. This one was a monster to quilt on my little machine because I followed the zig zags. My shoulders and arms were very sore by the end!
I used coordinating thread when I quilted it. The black zig zags had black thread, and purple had purple, etc. On the back, each color showed up in the thread.
I don't have a picture of all four quilts because I had to get these three in the mail and my mom's wasn't quite done yet! I am glad I started these in May.... two kids has been such an adjustment that I don't think I would have gotten them done if I'd started any later!
I wish I could make quilts for everyone I love, and if money was no object I would definitely try. Merry Christmas, girls - I hope you find good use for these quilts! I love you!

9 comments:
So talented- I love them all, but the first one is my favorite! Those lucky sisters! Hope you guys had a great Christmas.
Oh I looove my quilt. I have it lying at the end of my bed and it looks great. And everyone that I have shown it to actually likes the different sizes of the pinwheels! And don't worry, even if I WERE to look at it closely, I'm sure I would not find any mistakes!
They're all beautiful - I love how vibrant they are. Thanks for the great gift.
Oh, my gosh...I am speechless...
What am I saying...I am never speechless...
Those are so beautiful, Hannah. You areso talented.
Hey, you have no idea who I am, but I'm Molly's roommate. The quilt you made her is absolutely gorgeous and I LOVE the different sizes of pinwheels. Just thought I'd pass that on. It's seriously beautiful.
you know I love mine!! I am thinking of changing my room all to pinks so I can showcase it better. Do you think John would approve?
I LOVE my quilt. Thank you so much for sending it to me. Everyone that sees is comments on how pretty it is too. I just love the fabric you picked out.
WOW! You are so talented Hannah! I love that you gave homemade gifts this year. Part of me thanks you for inspiring me, but another part of me is really ticked off. :)
i too go from blog to blog... I like to learn and "stalk"..I stopped at yours and have been reading.. what an adorable family your have!! BUT your quilts...if you dont start selling on Etsy or start selling them somewhere youre doing yourself an injustice! I know how hard it is to let them go.. I make jewlery mostlu bracelets...But SERIOUSLY... quilts.. love them!
Post a Comment