Friday, January 15, 2010

Just hit "next"

I read a lot of blogs after my kids go to bed, and while they nap.  For the most part, I read a blog to:

1. learn something (crafting/quilting blogs, DIY blogs, etc)
2. stalk someone (this means YOU!)
3. get inspired (healthy eating, fitness, spiritual, etc)

I also really like to make comments on blogs because I always love to get comments on my own posts.  However, since I follow all my blogs in Google Reader, I wasn't getting to see anyone's actual blog page because I was reading it in a format similar to email.  So, if I wanted to make a comment, I had to click on the link to get to the blog page, then click on another link to get to the comments... you get the idea.  It was exhausting on my poor little fingers. :)  Plus I had a dinosaur laptop and it was taking forever for pages to load.

A couple months ago I learned about Google Reader's "next" button.  It's a button you can put in the toolbar of your webpage (that's the top of the page, Mom!), and it just takes you through all the websites in your reader (the ones with new posts).  It's great - now I don't miss out when someone changes their blog design or layout, and it's much easier for me to make a comment and/or read comments that other people have left.

All you have to do is log into Google Reader, click on "Settings", and click "goodies".  It explains exactly how to add the "next" button to your toolbar - it only takes a few seconds.

Next!

3 comments:

kanewoman said...

I have always loved you Hannah! Now, oh how I love you! I love you more! This little post has CHANGED MY LIFE!

Lauren in GA said...

If I change my settings to Google Reader and don't like it, how do I change it back?

Does Google Reader carry private blogs? I have to remind myself to check private blogs.

I just check the blogs I have subscribed to on my dashboard...but I noticed a button at the bottom of my dashboard page that said, "View in Google Reader" I am afraid to use it becasue I am afraid I won't like it and I won't be able to go back to my old format.

Thanks for this informative post...If I switch to Google Reader I'll need it.

Emma and John said...

thanks hannah, now maybe people will comment on my blog. !