Monday, January 11, 2010

What I Want from 2010



End goal: To be more "in the moment", especially where my children are involved
Action: Turn off the TV and computer and just spend time.  Quality time and quantity time.  Especially since this is probably the easiest that parenting is going to get.  Sure, some days I want to pull my hair out, but I do believe that parenting will only get more stressful as my children get older.

End goal: Read more classics
Action: I'll admit: I like "lite" books.  When I read, I usually don't want to think too hard, especially after a long day of being "mommy".  I like beach reads. It's not that I don't like classics - it just takes me a while to get into them sometimes.  However, I'd really like to be more "well read" and I don't think that lite books are getting me there.  So, I want to read at least 6 classics this year.  Any recommendations?

End goal: Understand Isaiah again
Action: Hands down, one of the best classes I ever took at BYU was "Understanding Isaiah".  It was incredible, and Isaiah quickly become my favorite book in the Bible.  I've forgotten pretty much everything, though.  It's time to pull out the class notes and get re-acquainted!  I'd like to focus on a couple chapters a week.  I'd also like to type out my notes so I have an electronic copy.

End goal: Fit back into my pre-prego clothes. (I HATE the word "prego", by the way. I don't know why I even used it)
Action: The usual: diet and exercise.  I just finished the first week of P90X Lean and I'm really liking it so far.  I don't think I'll really be able to lose all the weight until I'm done nursing though - that's what happened the first time around, in any case.  By the way, whoever said that nursing burns 500 calories a day is a liar.

End goal: Be more rested
Action: Go to bed before midnight once in a while.  I am a night owl and it's really not a big deal for me to up until 1 a.m. night after night.  It's awful!  I'll be realistic and just start shooting for 11:30 in bed (meanwhile... it's after midnight as I write this post).

*The headband in the picture was made for Abby by my sister-in-law.  Garrett didn't think it would fit on my head so I had to take a picture for proof.

5 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

The picture is cracking me up. You look fabulous daaaaahhhhhhlingggg.

I love your goals. I need to set some.

sos said...

Great goals - read "The Count of Monte Cristo". It's a good book. No sewing resolutions?? or is that just a given?

Jon and Molly Knight said...

Elza would totally wear that headband. I think she has a few just like it.
Good goals!

Haley said...

I second that you should read the Count of Monte Cristo. It is hands down my very favorite book! Long, but worth it!

Court said...

Another book I think you'd like that's more of a modern classic is Steinbeck's East of Eden. I could list a lot more, but that's the first one that comes to mind. Good luck on your goals! Mine is to finish nursing school and find a job. MIss you!