Sunday, January 16, 2011

My dream house

So last week I wrote a post about the kind of house I hope to buy when we move to Florida this summer. Now, let's talk about the kind of house I want to live in someday.  My dream house. (Doesn't everyone have a dream house?  If you are a girl you probably do.)

I don't ever want to live in a huge house - too hard to keep clean.  But I'd love something open and bright and full of natural light.

Something with great architecture (love the color of the floors, too):
Austin Patterson Disston Architects traditional bedroom

Lots of windows for natural light:
Stair traditional staircase



With great organization space:
More This eclectic home office

Something classy (oops, didn't I say I didn't want something too big? ;) ):
Austin Patterson Disston Architects traditional exterior

Or this:
Gast Architects: Projects traditional exterior
(I love stone walls, but I especially love the ones that look handmade. The one above is a little too "perfect")

Or a house like this:

(I love shingled houses.  LOVE them.  And if you have a house like this, you also need to live within a mile of the beach.  I think I could handle that.)

With a view like this (if you don't have a beach view, that is):
Austin Patterson Disston Architects traditional exterior


With outdoor living space like this:

And this:


And this:


And a mudroom like this:
Renovation Redux Mudroom contemporary entry

The boys' room (or a kids guest room) could look like this:
Stonebreaker Builders & Remodelers traditional kids
(I am obsessed with built-in beds in a kids room, and I love the red/white/blue color scheme for a boys' room)

More red/white/blue (okay, I really hope I have two boys next, because I want them to have this room):


More built-in beds:
Bunk Room eclectic kids

Crazy built-in beds (crazy as in, I love them.  But how are they practical?  I guess it would be perfect for grandkids or something...):




A coffee table like this must be included somewhere in the house.  I love it:

I'm also currently loving sliding barn doors like this.  I like a touch of "rustic-ness":


And wouldn't laundry be fun in a room like this?:
cool glass knobs eclectic laundry room
(Ok, maybe not fun, but definitely bearable!)

And, I swear, if I had a bathroom like this, I wouldn't mind cleaning it:
Gast Architects: Projects traditional bathroom

I am also crazy about built-in breakfast nooks, and I'm loving the blue and orange color scheme here:
Dining Room eclectic dining room
This image actually inspired the blue & orange pillows in my living room).

Isn't this playroom just perfect?:

And finally, the moment I know you are all waiting for, the kitchen.


It's a good one:


Oh, you want another view? Okay:


The only thing I don't like is the cabinet-looking fridge (I like a stainless steel fridge) and the bar stools (I'd put in some metal ones, maybe antique).  But I'm crazy about white cabinets and I love the white marble counter tops, too, and all the beautiful windows.


::Sigh::


A girl can dream, right?


I think I'll be interested to come back to this post in a few years and see how my tastes have changed.  I'm pretty sure I will always love the kitchen, but who knows.


Now excuse me while I wipe all this drool off the computer........

9 comments:

Rachelle said...

I'm moving in with you later on in life... Keep one of those built in beds available.

Aleasha said...

I'm drooling too.

Abs said...

Oh the mudroom--be still my beating heart.

sos said...

Where's the apartment for the grandparents? Okay, we'll sleep in the built-in beds (lower bunks please).

Emma and John said...

You definitely have a beachy style! I love every single picture. After you've gotten yourself a house like that, get me one too. What sites did you find those pics at?

Haley said...

You can't post pictures like this for me to drool over right as I start looking for a place in Charleston. Now I'm depressed about the shack we're going to have to live in for the next 4 years!

Jon and Molly Knight said...

Oh Hannah you and I have the exact same style. At work I have a Word document of all of the sites with pictures of my "future home". I might just turn your blog now.

Mel said...

"I don't ever want to live in a huge house - too hard to keep clean."

Agreed. That's one of the reasons why I'd never want a massive great big house either. Though in theory, if I could afford to so much as look at the
house valuation on a property like that, I'd be able to hire someone to clean it for me. But to be honest, I'd feel really uncomfortable, a bit like the second Mrs de Winter from Rebecca.

I love those built-in beds with the curtains. Even as an adult, they look fantastic but if you have one when you're a child, it must be a bit like having your own little world and being able to shut out the real world for a while. That was always important to me.

I LOVE that corner shower too. That's the exact kind of thing that I want. I discovered the wonders of a power shower when I stayed with friends in Canada and when I came back to England, it was like trying to wash myself with a garden hose. So a power shower's pretty high on my "Must have no matter what" list.

Nuri Rossignol said...

LOL. I understand the part where having a big house means it'll be harder to clean. I got tired just by imagining it. Although I can also imagine that maintaining your dream house from the roof to your basement can be fun, but at the same time troubling if you don't know what to do. That aside, even I want to live in one of these houses someday.