I had a couple of people ask me what kinds of workouts I'm doing now so I figured I'd write a post about it. This will probably be boring for any of you who don't need or want this information, so feel free to stop reading now if it already sounds boring! :)
I've tried a lot of different exercise routines in my life. In high school I used to like doing the elliptical or the stair stepper at the local gym. Freshman year at BYU I don't remember doing much exercising, although I remember one time my roommate Courtney and I decided to put on workout clothes and run up and down the RB stairs like 4 times or something (the looong ones that go under the tunnel)... that was a huge mistake and I couldn't walk for a few days after that, haha.
Sophomore year I fell in love with weight training. About 3x a week I lifted weights, and also did some cardio (biking, elliptical, etc). Between that and walking to campus every day from my apartment complex, I lost a good bit of weight that year.
After I got married, and started staying in Provo year-round, I didn't have access to the campus gym during the summer (since I wasn't taking classes) so I had to think of something else to do. So, if I remember correctly, Emma had some workout videos she had "borrowed" from home and we did those together. That was a lot of fun - they are mostly The Firm workouts - the classic ones, not the new ones they make now. We're talking straight out of the 80s, and they are wearing leotards and legwarmers! We may make fun of them, but I am not kidding when I say that these classic Firm workouts are probably the most effective ones out there.
After Abby was born I did some Biggest Loser DVD workouts and I liked those because they are only 20 minutes long. I also did some Firms. When I was pregnant with Ellie I took up running and really enjoyed that, but didn't keep it up for long because, well, I was pregnant and you technically aren't supposed to start new workouts when pregnant.
The first serious workout regimen I did after Ellie was born was P90x. I started it when she was exactly 6 months old and it was intense, to say the least. It's 6 days a week, one hour a day (some days it's a little longer). It's 90 days (12 weeks) long; however I only did it for about 7 weeks (which is still pretty darn good!). To be honest I can't remember why I stopped - I think it was bothering my right knee (which has been bad since high school). I did lose about 9 lbs in those 7 weeks but to be honest I don't know if I can credit that 100% to P90x, or if it's also because that's when I switched Ellie to formula. (Breastfeeding does not help me lose weight like it seems to for most people. In fact I am convinced it hinders my weight loss attempts).
Anyway. I still do P90x workouts every so often -- mostly just the ab ripper. Currently I'm mostly doing those good old Firm workouts - the tough ones. The Firm's big tagline is that you can see results in 10 workouts... this is definitely true if you do the right tapes. These are not for the faint of heart, nor are they for people who want a 20 minute workout. They are 60 minutes long, and those ladies do not joke around! It's mostly interval training -- going from weights to aerobics, then weights, etc. Squats, forward lunges, back lunges, then back to squats, then jumping jacks, then steps.... it's intense. My favorite all-around Firm tape is probably this one because she uses weights a lot and she doesn't say anything too cheesy. She's also really easy to follow. I just started doing this one a lot too, and it has given me the best results (it's mostly step aerobics - it's just a little frustrating at first because she's harder to follow, in my opinion. But once you get the routine down it's great). This second one got me past my plateau and I'm currently at a weight I haven't been at since before I had any kids. Really nice, but unfortunately now a lot of my clothes look baggy!
The only downside to the Firm tapes is that you need extra equipment. You need dumbbells, ankle weights, steps (high and low, for the step aerobics on some tapes). Over the years I've acquired most of these things (I have pairs of 5, 8, 10, and 12-lb dumbbells and 3-lb ankle weights). I don't have a step box but I found a big solid storage box here at home that works (but it's a high box, so the fast aerobics are extra challenging!). To me it's worth it to buy those things because I don't pay for a gym membership anywhere, so I'm saving money that way. So, I definitely recommend The Firm (the OLD ones!)... just read the reviews on Amazon if you need more convincing. :)
So what's my end goal? Of course I have a specific weight in mind but ultimately I just want to be healthy and energized. I love the post-workout feeling of accomplishment. I also love feeling sore from a tough workout (not to mention my chocolate-y protein drink!).
Ultimately, I go back and forth with my love for workout videos. There have been times in my life when I'm perfectly happy to go to the gym every day and use the equipment there, and there are times when I feel like videos at home are enough. Someday, I would love to have a workout room like my sister does - with a treadmill, and an elliptical, and everything else I might need. But for now, my tv and some old Firm tapes (and an occasional outdoor run) are doing just fine.
Whew, that was a really long post about working out... but I personally like reading posts like this so there you go. I hope I've helped some of you out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
you know I'm a FIRM belieiver! Best workouts I've ever done. Even with all of my equipment, I do my firm tapes more than anything. Good job- I hope I bust through my plateau soon, too!
Sounds like a good plan! I need something to get me excited to work out and won't hurt my knee! Hope yall are well. :)
Those tapes look familiar...I guess I'll find mine and start using them again. Unless someone has "borrowed" them!!
Post a Comment