Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Rag quilt

When I posted the zoo pictures a couple weeks ago, someone asked me to post some more pictures of the quilt that Abby was snuggled under on the stroller. 

We love this lap quilt!  My mom made this "rag quilt" for me a few years ago and it's the perfect size for little picnics, snuggling on the stroller, etc.  The girls love it and I love it too.


The best part is that this quilt is so easy to make.  All it is is squares of flannel that have been cut into squares and sewn together.  There is only one layer --the flannel-- no batting or backing.  As you can see in the close-up picture (above), she just made tiny little cuts all along the inside of the seams (on the back) so that it looks frayed/worn.  We use this as the front (babies love the texture) but really it doesn't matter.

Here (below) you can see both sides:


Mom machine-sewed diagonal lines across the quilt.  Like I said before, there are no layers so this wasn't necessary, but it gives it a nice look.  She also sewed along the edge of the quilt (about half an inch in, it looks like), so that she could make the little cuts all along the edges, too.


Like I've said before, there is something about laying a quilt on the floor that makes kids go crazy!  They just would not leave it alone as I tried to take pictures so I just let them be my "models".

Thanks again, Mom!

3 comments:

The Dunn Family said...

Thanks! It looks easy enough, but we'll see!

sos said...

A few guidelines: there is a smaller square of cotton batting between the two layers of fabric. Also, use the same fabric on the front and back of the squares so when you flip the quilt over, you won't have any of the same squares next to each other. It is very easy to do - there are even special scissors you can buy for the short snips you make around each square. Wash it in an industial washer the first time because of all the threads. Good luck!

Jon and Molly Knight said...

That sounds complicated enough for me! That's why I have a mom and sisters who sew FOR me... :)