Sunday, March 18, 2012

Go Gators!

When I was 8 or 9, my mom took my sisters and me to a BYU gymnastics meet.  I loved it and have been wanting to do the same thing with Abby and Ellie.  Fortunately, living in a college town presents many of these fun opportunities to us!

Late Friday afternoon I got a text from one of my friends at Church inviting us to go to the UF gymnastics meet with them.  It was pretty last-minute, but it turned out that it was the last meet of the season and I had been wanting to take the girls sometime this year (UF is ranked #1).  So, we hurried through dinner and rushed out the door!

I was a bit wary about the whole thing, since it started at 7 (bedtime!) and the girls hadn't had any sort of quiet time that day.  But, I was pleasantly surprised.  It turned out that there were 5 or 6 other families from Church there, so we had quite a crowd to sit with and Abby loved sitting with all her little girl friends.  Ellie was happy once someone gave her a bag of popcorn. (It turned out that so many people from Church were there because we were competing against Utah and there are a lot of Utah alumni at Church.  So, we were sitting among many people in red Utah attire.  It was pretty scary). :)

Ellie loved the parallel bars ("monkey bars!") and the floor routines.  She kept dancing in front of her seat each time a new song would start during the routines.  A couple times she said to me, "I wanna try!!" and tried to run out of our row so she could run down to the floor and do a routine.  So cute.  The floor routines were really exciting to watch, and each of the UF girls integrated the "gator chomp" into their routine somehow.  It was a lot of fun.

Abby loved pretty much everything about it.  She seemed enthralled by the girls and quizzed me on the way home about gymnastics. "How old were they?" "Why did their outfits have sparkles?" etc.  I think the whole thing really made her want to do some gymnastics.  I remember having the same dream when I was a little kid... and I actually did take a class once or twice.  Hopefully someday we can put our girls in some fun classes like that.



Here's to another one crossed off my 101 list!!

No comments: