Thursday, March 29, 2012

Winners



I've said this in the past, and I'll say it again: I love Pinterest.  There are some big down sides, sure, but overall I've gotten some great ideas and I've had some success with several things.  I've shared some recipes I've made before... Here are some of the ones we've discovered (and liked!) via Pinterest lately:

granola bars final 1
No-bake chocolate chip granola bars.  These were really easy and pretty good, too.  The girls love them, and they also loved helping me make them.  The only thing that bugs me a little bit is that people on Pinterest (and the author herself) has labeled them as "healthy".  Four of the 7 ingredients are brown sugar, butter, Rice Krispies, and chocolate chips.  Not the healthiest foods, in my opinion.. but these bars are still pretty good and I feel okay giving them to my kids to eat.

                                                           mongolian1
This Mongolian Beef recipe tastes great.  Even the kids loved it (they are not particularly picky eaters, but I still consider them liking it a great endorsement).  I also loved it, but that could have been partly due to the fact that I love beef in general, and we only eat it about 1-2 times a month, so it's a treat.  You should definitely try this recipe, though!  I served it over brown rice and it was a real hit.

I can't remember if I blogged about this one last time our not.  This tomato-basil parmesan soup is really good.  It's also a crock pot recipe, so it's a great Sunday meal.  Too bad soup season is pretty much over... especially here in the South.  However, I've been known to make soups in the summer so this one might be showing up again in my house during the next 6 months or so.

Image for Spaghetti with Sauteed Chicken and Grape Tomatoes
I did a few variations on this spaghetti with sauteed chicken and tomatoes, but we really loved it and it's a great summer meal.  Will definitely be making this more during the summer, especially if our grape tomatoes in the garden do well.

Homemade Larabars.  Larabars are energy bars made with "all natural" ingredients, but they are pretty pricey.  I attempted to make my own last week and they turned out pretty well!  This kind only has dates, almonds, peanut butter, and some chocolate chips.  They are certainly not low in calories (did you know that just two dates have 180 calories??) but they really are good energy bars.  There are lots of different "flavors" that I'm looking forward to trying (oatmeal, banana, berry, etc.).  Anyway, you shouldn't write these off until you have tried them.  I've realized that dates are really good and they are great sweeteners (many people use them in place of sugar, so I've heard.... looking forward to trying that out!).

Have you found any good recipes lately?  There are still many, many more that I have found that I'm just waiting to try.... I'll let you know how they are!

No comments: