I just finished reading "The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and Love" by Kristin Kimball.
Written like a novel, Kimball tells about her transformation from a city girl to farmer. But don't confuse her with The Pioneer Woman.... Kimball is doing all the dirty work right along with her husband (no ranch hands to be found).
Probably my favorite concept that I got from this book is that Kimball and her husband now run a year-long CSA (community supported agriculture). Most CSA's around the country run for about 9 months out of the year, and they only provide fruits and vegetables. However, Kimball's CSA is a full diet CSA. They provide grass-fed beef, pork, chicken, eggs, 50 different kinds of vegetables, milk, grains and flour, fruit, herbs, maple syrup, cheese, eggs, milk and soap. Members come once a week and take whatever they need for the week, in any combination and quantity that they choose. Members are also encouraged to take extra during the growing season so that they can freeze or can their food for the winter. Basically, they are offering people the opportunity to live off the bounty of a farm, without having to do all the farm work!
When I finished the last book I read (Folks, This Ain't Normal), I told Garrett that someday I want to get to the point where we are growing at least 75% of our own foods. However, after reading this book, I really just want to join a CSA like this!
I loved this book. It was an easy and entertaining read, and I still learned a lot at the same time. I highly recommend it if you are interested in farming, gardening, self sufficiency, food storage, or just food in general!


1 comment:
Thanks for your reading updates. I am always looking for good recommendations. I saw that you started Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Love that book too!
Post a Comment