July 1st is a big day in the medical education world... Garrett officially finished his second year of residency! I know that everyone says this, but I really feel like time is just flying by. Now is a perfect time to document a little bit how things are going with this medical journey and the things we have to look forward to this year!
The past year has been a great one. Okay, it wasn't as awesome (schedule-wise) as Garrett's intern year in Virginia, but it was still pretty light as far as residencies go. He worked maybe half a dozen weekends, and stayed late (8-10pm) maybe once a week. Sure, when he comes home he has to study each night for about 2 hours, but at least he was here, so it wasn't too bad.
So, Garrett's officially starting PGY-3 (post grad year 3), and a lot of changes are ahead this year. First of all, he'll have a lot more responsibility since he's no longer at the bottom of the totem pole. Starting in late September/early October, he'll start being on-call by himself, which is a huge deal. In fact, he was chosen to be the first person in his class to take solo call. I am trying to convince him that it's a compliment to his work ethic and knowledge (in the past, the call schedule has always gone in alphabetical order, but clearly that's not the case here!). Garrett won't hear of it, though, and believes that it's just bad scheduling luck.
Besides the busy call schedule, he'll also start working a lot more weekends. I think he said that he's working 2-3 weekends a month for about 3 months straight. I guess the last two "light" years really had to catch up to him sometime. It sure was nice while it lasted, though!
I'm so proud of Garrett and all the work he does. He works really, really hard. No, his job is not physically demanding in the least, but he comes home exhausted each day because radiology is extremely mentally draining. I don't know how he does it, but I'm glad he has found something he enjoys. To be honest, I really don't have much of an idea of what he does all day (besides look at images on a computer screen), but at least he knows what he is doing, and that's all that matters. :)
Thanks, Garrett, for being such a hard worker for our little family. We love you! Only 4 more years to go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
My hat is off to Garrett for all his hard work -- the hours upon hours of studying and cramming information into his brain and sleepless nights and long long work days. My hat is also off to you Hannah for being so supportive. You are the poster child for how to be a supportive Med Student/Dr's wife. Seriously. You are upbeat, low-maintenance, and independent. You two make a great team! Congrats to you both for making it so far. I watched Dr. Diaries (that PBS special you recommended a while back) and was blown away. I thought of you and all my dr. friends who are and have been down the path to becoming a physician. It's a modern-day miracle, truly! Love you guys!
Post a Comment