Sunday, September 2, 2012

Kindergarten!

We officially have a kindergartener in the house!

Abby was so excited to start school this year.  She picked out her outfit far in advance (the kids have a strict dress code: solid collared shirts and solid skirts/pants only):

Her bag had been packed for a couple weeks:

Walking into school on her first day (with her first-grader friend).  The kindergarteners had a "staggered start", meaning 6 kids went the first day, 6 different kids went the next day, and 6 more on the third day.  Then, they all went together on Thursday for their real first day all together.  It was nice to have a little extra one-on-one time with the teacher before the classroom filled up with kids on the real first day.

In her classroom:

Here she is on her first real day of school, with all the kids.  Still smiling, still happy to be waking up at 6:30!  She was especially excited on this day because Garrett drove her to school (which is why Ellie is still in her pj's... she got to stay home with me).

I'll admit, I'm still adjusting.  Every night as I set my alarm, I moan to Garrett that I have to get up early again. (Not that I get any sympathy from him, haha). We also miss having Abby around all day.  However, I'm really enjoying spending some one-on-one time with Ellie before the baby comes.  I also can't believe how much easier it is to run errands with just one kid instead of two (even though Abby is my easy one, it does make a difference!). To be honest, though, I've been dreading this day since she was born.  I never, ever thought I would be "that mom" who was sad to see her kids go to school, sad to see them grow up so fast, sad to be away from them.  But, I am!  I kind of hate that she is away from me for hours on end, having experiences that I know nothing about, having her own little part of her life that doesn't include me.  It's quite an adjustment.  It's kind of hard to see my little baby go off into the world and be her own little person without me. (Does that make me sound like a drama queen?? Overbearing mother?  Probably.) ;)

But, it's been fine so far. I didn't even cry when I dropped her off on the first day, which I always thought I would do (seeing as how, in the past, I would cry just thinking about that moment). Abby is happy at school and making friends.  Her teacher seems really good.  I am much more productive now since I get out of the house at 7:15 every morning.  We also decided (after much deliberation) to let Abby ride the bus home, which she is loving.  All in all, it's been good.  We are looking forward to a fun year!

2 comments:

Jon and Molly Knight said...

Awww I miss everyone! Abby looks so cute and grown up. And Ellie is adorable in her glasses. I can't wait for them to have another sister!

Emma and John said...

I'm pretty sure that picture of Ellie is going to be my background on my computer.