Thursday, October 11, 2012

#12 - Artwork

#12 on my goal list is to buy a piece of original art.

But, it's not really the "buying" part that is important... I just wanted something nice on our walls, something that you couldn't find in everyone else's home.  Since art can be expensive, though, I decided to just make something myself.

First, I came across this print from Gus and Lula on Etsy.  I loved it and I knew it would go perfectly in the girls' room.

So, with Garrett's (major) help, I made this:


I love how it turned out!  It's hard to see how big it is here, but it's about 42 inches long and about 30 inches tall - pretty big!  I was going to put it above the yellow crib, but it makes me nervous to have something so heavy hanging so close to the baby, so we moved it to another wall.  It looks so bright and cheery in the girls' bedroom, which is a mix of yellows, pinks, and some aqua (I really need to get some pictures up!).

Garrett did most of the work: he cut the pallet, connected the boards together, measured for the "sunbeams", and even made and cut out the stencils for the words.  All I really did was paint it.  And, since I already had the white and aqua paint, it only cost me $4 for the yellow paint and 50 cents for a cheap sponge paintbrush.

We both loved working on this project - it was easy, and fun to work together with Garrett on something.   So, here's to #12 - get some "original" artwork in our house!

(Also, take a minute to look around Gus and Lula's etsy shop... everything is so cute!)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I loooooove it! So cute!

Lauren in GA said...

Hannah, that looks INCREDIBLE!