This year, I said goodbye to two really good friends.
Allison lived just down the street from us, and Abbie is good friends with her oldest daughter who is the same age. I will really miss Allison - she has been such a great friend! She and her husband have been a big help to us, since her husband is also doing radiology. They are moving to Seattle for a 1-year fellowship, but chances are very high I will see her again since they will likely return to the east coast for a "real job" in a year. Also, her husband is doing the same sub-specialty that Garrett is doing (MSK), so hopefully in the future we can meet up at various conferences that our husbands attend.
And, Leza.... Leza is awesome. If you ever want to talk politics, talk to Leza! :) Leza is one of the most generous people I know - she is always willing to lend a hand. She's also hilarious! We had a lot of fun together, and our oldest daughters are also friends. Leza's husband has a "real job" in Phoenix (where they were both raised) so they are heading back "home" for good. But, I will see her in January when she comes back for a "girls weekend" that we are planning in Orlando!
In total, we are losing about 15 families from the ward (some are pictured below), so it's a rough year! The kids will really miss their friends and I know I will, too. It's difficult to see people leave, but thankfully it's something that we know will happen so it's no big surprise. For each move, everyone knows pretty much exactly how long they will be in a certain location, so it helps that no one is ever leaving out of the blue. That makes it a bit easier. Plus, now we've gotten to the point in our training where the majority of people who are leaving us are headed for real doctor jobs, so that's really exciting to hear about and see.
And thankfully, we aren't just losing people. Our ward will be gaining at least a dozen medical families that we know about, plus any other families that happen to move in throughout the summer that we don't know about (many people contact someone to ask where they should live, ask about the schools, etc.... but then there are always people who just show up, so that's fun too). Most are medical residents, but we also get dental students and residents, law students, interns, and grad students. Three families are moving right into our neighborhood so that will be great for the kids. We are excited to meet everyone and make new friends!

No comments:
Post a Comment