Sunday, January 27, 2008

We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet

I think nearly everyone has a prophet whom they feel is "their" prophet. Usually it's the prophet who was called during the time they were born, baptized, growing up, or during a specific time in their adult life. I have always considered President Hinckley to be "my" prophet. I remember many times as a youth sitting in the Exeter Stake Center (NH) and listening to him counsel us as youth specifically. I remember the talk on the "Six B's", and I remember when he added 3 more "B's" to the list. He dedicated the Boston Temple, and my mom sang in the small choir for it. He presented the Proclamation to the Family, which is one of my favorite documents. He called my Grandpa S* (really, on the phone!) and called him to be the President of the Palmyra Temple. President Hinckley will always have a special place in my heart and I will always consider him to be "my prophet". He always inspired me to do a little better, stand a little taller, and be a little kinder.

I always thought that I would be pretty devastated when died, but tonight as I heard the news of his passing, I couldn't help but rejoice that he has finally joined his wife, Marjorie. Of course, it's sad for the world to lose such a wonderful prophet, but the Church is taken care of. The Church will continue to thrive and grow. But can you imagine the rejoicing in Heaven, and the happiness that he and his wife must be feeling right now? Can you imagine the kinds of rewards in Heaven that he will receive? What a reunion that must be taking place!

I will miss President Hinckley for his wit, for the humor and sparkle in his eyes, for the wonderful way that he built up the Saints and led us through the scary world that surrounds us.

Today in our regional Stake Conference, which was broadcast to the South, President Monson spoke. After the Conference, Garrett and I were discussing his talk, which was about missionary work. It was a little odd, however. Both of us found it a little hard to follow, and President Monson seemed distracted. I think he probably knew what was in store for him, and was contemplating the mantle that would soon be placed on his shoulders.

I am so grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. I am thankful that we have living prophets and apostles who speak in behalf of the Lord. The world can be a scary and dark place, but the Lord's Church is a beacon of light in my life. I am so grateful for a loving family, and wonderful parents who taught me the true Gospel. I am thankful for temple work, and for eternal marriage, and the knowledge that I can be with my family forever.

No comments: