Friday, May 6, 2011

Lately

Here's what we've been up to lately:

Another picture from Pennsylvania... this is one of Ellie's new favorite things to do.

Mom reading to the kids:

We made Cafe Rio for my birthday:

Now back home... Ellie loves to exercise with me. (Notice the ladder in the picture?? I can't wait to have a garage!):

Abby had to get in on the action:

The girls helping Garrett wash the car:

Ellie:


The Easter Bunny brought Garrett a chocolate fish this year:

 More ab work, with Ellie again:

Abby still loves taking pictures of herself:

....and of her shoes:

Playing "baby" with Ellie:

Other happenings:

*I can't believe we're moving in less than 6 weeks!  I am dreading the whole process of packing up, loading a truck, driving long distance, unloading, unpacking, etc.  Ugh... just the thought of it all makes me exhausted. And, I'm getting anxious too, just about leaving our comfort zone and starting over again in a new place.

*The house drama is still going on... oh man I can't wait to have everything behind us!  It's a long, drawn out story and I don't want to bore you with, but wow it's stressful.  And expensive.

*I finally bought my ticket to go to my sister's wedding in June!  And.... I am going alone!  I am sad that the whole family won't be there (sorry, Molly!), but I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with my parents and sisters.  And I'm excited to meet my new brother-in-law-to-be!

*Garrett worked nights all last week... poor guy.  He doesn't like working nights but someone's gotta do it!  Tomorrow he starts back on the day shift for the next couple of days, so that'll be nice.  Now if he could only get over this nasty cold he has.

*One major decision we had to make over the last few months was whether or not to send Abby to preschool this fall.  I would love to find a free 2-day-a-week or even 3-day-a-week program (for a few hours each day), but the only public preschool they have is Monday-Friday, and you have to commit that your child will attend every day (you can't just bring them whenever you want).  I have a huge problem with that.  I am not usually a go-against-the-grain type person, and I like rules and everything, but... I don't like someone telling me that a preschooler has to attend 5 days a week, so that really rubbed me the wrong way.  I realize that this is because the school only gets their government funding based on attendance, so I understand the rule, but I think we're going to opt out this year.  The only reason I would send her would be to make friends, and I am confident that we can do that outside of the classroom (a dance class, or gymnastics, or maybe a sport).  If Abby was an only child, or needed to learn the skills that would be taught in preschool, I would definitely consider it more, but I'm just not ready for her to be gone so much.  She'll have the next 18 years to be in school. (Plus, I'll admit: I'm really not used to the whole idea of preschool!  The first time I ever attended school was first grade... I didn't even know preschool or kindergarten existed.  And I turned out okay. Hopefully Abby will, too. :)  It's been a really hard decision, to be honest.  I used to think that I would be the kind of mother who would be excited to send her kids off to school, and I would never be the kind of mother who cries when her child grows up (I especially believed this when Ellie was first born, and I was in the throes of taking care of a child who never ate, never slept, always cried, etc.).  But, now I realize that I am definitely that mom.  I dread the day Abby will put on a backpack and leave for hours at a time.

*The weather is warm and we've been going to the playground nearly every day!  I can't wait to have our own private backyard again soon so that we can enjoy the outdoors more easily (once the heat becomes bearable, of course.  So, maybe..... October? Haha).

No comments: