Thursday, December 20, 2012

Citrus season

I grew up in New England, so to me, Christmas/winter is all about snow, freezing cold weather, hats, scarves, and hot chocolate.  I remember when we moved to the South, being a little worried that it just wouldn't feel like Christmas anymore without any of these things.

But, I've discovered that there's just nothing to hate about 75-degree weather, sunshine, and going to the park and for pleasant walks in December.

A few weeks ago, we went with some friends to a little citrus grove just a few miles south of us.  We met a kind, old farmer who told us a bit about the history of his grove (he used to have a contract with Sunkist) and let us pick whatever we wanted.  It was a lot of fun.

We picked kumquats, which were SO good.  I probably would have picked a whole bucketful if I'd had time.  They are the perfect little snack to just pop into your mouth.  For those of you who have never had one... they are like mini oranges, but you don't need to peel them (the rind is thin and very sweet).  The inside is pretty sour, but once you start chewing more, the sweetness from the rind kick in and it's really good.

Grapefruit.  Do you know why grapefruits have their name?  As you can see below, they grow in bunches, just like grapes.



The farmer got out his ladder to get some of the higher fruit for us.  He was so nice and I loved hearing some of his stories.  He was born in a little farmhouse just a quarter of a mile from the grove.


It was such a fun afternoon -- I really love u-pick activities and this time was no exception!  I hope we can make this an annual tradition.

No comments: