Sunday, February 3, 2008

Continuing the Chain

I loved President Hinckley's funeral today. It was so touching, and I loved hearing the personal stories of the people he was close to. I was reminded again just how much I love President Hinckley and how much I will miss him.

One thing that really made me reflect was when his daughter Virginia shared some thoughts on her father. Quoting him, she said that he realized "the tremendous obligation that was mine to pass on all that I had received as an inheritance from my forbears to the generations who have now come after me." I think about this idea a lot, especially when I'm working on my family history. I have wonderful ancestors and I love learning all that I can about them. I feel honored to be a descendant of such great people, on both my parents' sides. But sometimes, it feels like a lot of pressure. I come from a long line of valiant people, but what am I? How tragic it would be if I decided to quit, and break the strong family chain that has been building and growing.


On the other hand, it reminds me of how lucky I am to be a part of this chain. I look forward to passing on my wisdom and faithfulness to my children, so that they can continue our family legacy. If I stay faithful to the Gospel and what I have been taught, I have such a wonderful opportunity to impact generations of people, just like President Hinckley and his wife have done in their own family. It's such a huge responsibility, which is scary sometimes, but I know that Garrett and I are up for the challenge, especially with such good examples within our families that we can follow.

No comments: