Monday, August 18, 2008

08.08.08 - Go USA!

For the opening ceremony of the Olympics we made a cake and ate Chinese food to celebrate (I know, I messed up the rings - the bottom ones shouldn't overlap).


Garrett and I have LOVED watching the Olympics so far. Like most people, we've loved seeing Michael Phelps go for the gold 8 times. So exciting! I can't believe he actually did it. During the final race I was so nervous I couldn't sit down! I was pacing like crazy during the first 3 swimmers of the relay, and by the time the fourth swimmer dove in I was running in circles around the room. Literally. It was pretty intense.

I have really enjoyed watching gymnastics and diving as well, but I have a hard time watching the sports that are judged. It all seems so subjective, and I usually don't understand the scoring at all. Especially for gymnastics - and don't even get me started about that little 14-year-old Chinese girl. I just wonder how long it will be until someone breaks down and just admits the truth (the girl herself? family? friends? the government worker who gave her the passport?). Anyway....

All in all, though, the Olympics have been wonderful and I will be sad when they're over. I will, however, get much more sleep. I'm up every night until at least 12:30 now, watching all the live coverage I can. Poor Garrett goes to bed early and misses most of it, because he has to be at the hospital around 5:30 or 6 in the mornings, but I usually give him a good recap.

Are you enjoying the Olympics? What's your favorite sport to watch?

3 comments:

Aleasha said...

I too love the Olympics. I can't stop watching them. I am so sad about the Chinese girls in Gymnastics. I guess that has been my favorite, other than Michael Phelps.

I started watching this one sport I had never heard of, steeple chase. its just so weird to me. have you watched it?

Lauren in GA said...

I know! I was so nervous that Michael Phelps wouldn't get that last gold and break the record. I was so excited when he did!!! I almost didn't watch because I was afraid it wouldn't happen.

Justin and Lindsay Wilkin said...

Cute cake you are so festive! Yeah Justin and I stayed up until 12:00 last night working in the garden and then we watched Shawn Johnsen take Gold for the balance beam event. She was so cute and did an amazing job! :) We have also watched a little swimming, B-ball, uneven bars, hurdles, running, etc... I can't watch all the time though it makes me so sad when they keep showing the mistakes over and over again. Like last night one of the girls was going for the Gold and tripped over the 9th hurdle and lost. She was so devasted and they showed it from several angles, her families reaction and then followed her to the back and watched her cry. I feel like give them a break they have worked so hard! :) Anyway other than that I am a fan.