Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas gifts, part 3

I made a quiet book for the girls this year.



Learning snaps:

Tic tac toe:

Learning buttons:

There's a little toy car in the purple pocket on the top of the right page.  On the left page, the red, yellow and green circles have velcro on the back.


Baking cupcakes.

Counting beads, and a purse.  I'm going to put a little comb and mirror and maybe some chapstick and other fun things in the purse.

Sending mail.  The mailbox has a little pocket on the top to put drawings and letters on.

Learning math (addition & subtraction), and learning zippers.

Matching colors, and weaving

The "gumballs" have velcro on the backs

Learning to tie a bow.

This book was really fun to make.  Before October I had never really worked with felt much, but between this quiet book and my advent calendar, I feel like a pro now.  Felt is really nice to work with because it's stiffer than cotton and it holds up pretty well if you get the nice kind.  Many people online recommend using wool felt but that's really expensive.  I used mostly Rainbow felt.  My mom gave me a big stack of it a couple years ago, and I also bought some on Fabric.com so that I could have more colors and variety.  (If you go that route, just be sure that you order the right amount!  I bought mostly squares (which were about 30 cents each), but I also bought 1 yard of white.  Oh, and I also accidentally bought 2 YARDS of yellow instead of two SQUARES of yellow.  Whoops.  Guess I'll have to find a project for that.

I only made about half the pages I had planned on making because I ran out of book space and time.  Hopefully I'll make a second book in the next year or two.

5 comments:

Jon and Molly Knight said...

That is so good, you're so talented! It looks so fun...even I would play with it during church! AWESOME JOB!!

Haley said...

That is awesome, Hannah! How long did it take you to make it?

pcubed said...

How is it possible you aren't a millionaire from all of your cute projects?! Everything you make is amazing! Did you come up with each page or was there a template/website where you got this idea? Amazing!!

Justin and Lindsay Wilkin said...

Hannah, You should have a craft blog/show, something. You are AMAZING!!! I bet everybody LOVED all their fun homemade gifts. :)

Rachelle said...

LOVE it! I want one for my kids!!!