Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Man Shower, the third

During medical school, a lot of our friends had babies.  Obviously the traditional baby showers were thrown for the expectant mothers (particularly if it was their first baby), whether they were having a boy or a girl.

However, I noticed a slight problem. Most of our friends had baby girls first, and some of them had boys second.  And since most people don't get baby showers for their second child (which, in my opinion, is perfectly fine), they weren't gifted many boy gifts (which are much needed, because you can't exactly use girl clothes for boys like you could use boy clothes for a girl.).

So, we had the idea to do a little twist for couples having their first baby boy, but who already had a baby girl -- Man Showers.  A couples shower, directed at the dad in celebration of his first son on the way.  We did our first man shower for our friend Bobby a few years ago, and another for Brian after that.  And I have to say... I'm a bit embarrassed to even link those parties because they were way fancier than my most recent shower, for Rob and Haley.  But, this one I hosted by myself (for the first time) and it was totally last minute since I dropped the ball on the whole thing (sorry Rob!!).  But, it was fun and Rob was surprised, so it was a success I think.

Unfortunately I didn't take a picture but I made a big banner that said "Congratulations Rob, it's a boy!"  We played "Man Shower" games (obnoxious baby shower games that I normally hate, but guys like them so we do them).  I made my oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for dessert, which Rob always enjoys.  I invited a couple of their friends who are also interns at the hospital.

 Rob, the guest of honor, "chugging" Dr. Pepper from a bottle.

For the record, this is the game I hate most.  You put melted candy bars in diapers and people have to guess what kind of candy bar it is.  Totally gross and obnoxious, but guys like it.  ::sigh::

Fastening a cloth diaper to a doll.  This was a couples challenge and each person could only use one hand.  Fastest time won.

We also did a nursery rhyme quiz.  It was harder than it sounds. 

And finally, guess the baby food.  We had sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, green beans, squash.

It was a fun party and it's a good thing we did it when we did, because Haley was in labor less than 12 hours later and Bobby was born the day after the party!

Congratulations Rob and Haley on your first boy!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Gotta love the man shower! You're awesome Hannah!