Friday, February 15, 2008

Lobster Dinner!

Alive & kicking!

For our wedding anniversary in August, Garrett's parents gave us a gift certificate for a lobster dinner for two. And today, we finally got around to using it! It was GREAT!! We got FOUR 1-1/4 lb Maine lobsters, two bowls of clam chowder, and half a pound of jumbo shrimp, with cocktail sauce. The meal was just ordered yesterday, and overnighted to us. YUM!

Now, lobster was my favorite food from the time I was 4 years old until I was about 20 (sushi has taken first place, but lobster remains a close second). But I have never really cooked lobsters on my own. Most of the times I've had lobster has been at Newick's (or "Lewick's", if you prefer :)), but occasionally for my birthday my parents would cook a lobster or two. However, I don't think I have ever watched them actually cook it... I didn't anticipate that it would start thrashing around as soon as I held it over the boiling water (lobsters should always be alive when you cook them). It scared me! Thankfully Garrett was there to help me out, although he didn't really know what he was doing either. I didn't have a stock pot big enough for even two of them, so we cooked them two at a time, in two different pots. Eating them was fun, too - I got to teach Garrett how to rip them apart and take the meat out. Part of me wished we had done this meal in August, though - tonight the shells were really sharp and tough, but at the end of summer, they are usually soft enough that you don't even need the nutcrackers. But, I will admit - taking the lobster apart and digging the meat out is part of the fun!

In the end, the meal was fabulous! It was such a treat to have a real Maine lobster dinner delivered right to our door. Thank you, Mom and Dad Woodbury!

Dropping them into the pot

Our table

Garrett digs in

The aftermath

1 comment:

Abs said...

How awesome! It looks like you guys had so much fun. And if I liked lobster, I would say it looked delicious. But I don't. So I content myself to say: it looked fun.