Garrett is 4 weeks into his third year of medical school, and he is really enjoying it. He's pretty much done with classroom lectures, and for the next two years he'll be working in the hospital, rotating around between specialties.
So far he's done 2 weeks of orthopaedic surgery, and two weeks of plastic surgery. He especially liked ortho, and has put that on the list of possibilities for his career. The schedule was pretty good - usually he had to be in around 6 or 7 a.m., but he was home by 4 or 5 every day, and sometimes earlier. A short day, when it comes to the medical field.
This week, Garrett starts his 4 weeks of general surgery. This rotation is know to be pretty rough, so we'll see how it goes. I think that more than anything, he's just happy to be out of the classroom. His days go by much more quickly when he's working with doctors and other residents. The only thing that kind of stinks is that he's on call 4 times (that means he works all day at the hospital, then spends the night there, then works the next day until early afternoon). Everyone else in his group was only assigned to be on call twice, so it was really weird that Garrett had 4 nights, but oh well. Two are in one week, so he'll get them over with pretty soon. Hopefully he'll actually get to sleep and won't be called into surgery all night. We'll see!


5 comments:
Hannah, Sounds familiar. I love that the boys all got the same rotation schedule. This way we can relate and bounce things off each other. I enjoyed being away from all the chaos for a few weeks. Yeah! Although by the looks of it it would have been wise to go now. I think you are right I think the general surgery is really going to be a lot more time consuming. Poor guys when do they get sleep?! Wow, I can't believe they are already in their third year. Where did the time go? Soon enough we are going to be going in all different ways going on to Residency, yikes!
Congrats!! Love the white coat...unless of course it means I am the one in the hospital...
Seriously, Congrats :)
Best news of all: For training purposes, Garrett will give all his family, friends, and neighbors a FREE colonoscopy on their birthday. This is not a requirement for graduation, but simply shows that Garrett is willing to stand behind his work.
sick, Dad! I'll pass...
I think that him getting scheduled for more rotations is a compliment! I can't believe he's over half way done.
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope 3rd year goes well for him and you!!!
Post a Comment