Ahhh, finally!! Halloween is over and I can finally start moving on to more exciting things like Thanksgiving and Christmas! I am pretty proud of myself that I had a semi-good attitude about Halloween this year. I dressed the girls up in matching costumes, made some ghost banners with Abby, ate some pumpkin seeds, and filtered everything I said at the Trunk or Treat. I have written in years past (here and here) about how much I hate Halloween, but I refrained this year from singing the same old tune here on the blog and just focused on getting it over with. You're welcome.
(By the way, want to know how to steal candy from kids' buckets? When they come to you and hold out their bucket, you put your hand (with your candy) into their bucket and, instead of dropping a candy into it, you take one out (or, you can drop in your nasty cheap candy that you bought, and take out something good. That way it's just a "trade). Works about 75% of the time. But, I only do this to the kids who hold out their buckets and don't say "trick or treat". I hate when kids refuse to say it and just hold out their buckets like I owe them something. The first time around is annoying but doesn't really bother me, it's the second and third time they come around to my "trunk" when it gets obnoxious. Also, this is only worth it if someone else is giving out good candy. I don't really like most candy, but I do enjoy tootsie rolls, milk duds, and anything else chocolate-y from time to time.)*
Anyway, I am so happy that now I can focus on Thanksgiving and Christmas! I love both holidays so much and I'm thrilled that it's finally "the season". Even though Garrett works a full shift on Thanksgiving, I still have high hopes that we will do something fun to celebrate (just not necessarily on that day). He'll be on a "six days on, four days off" schedule. Thanksgiving falls in the middle of a "6 days on" rotation, but hopefully we'll do something exciting for the 4 days off later that week. Anyone want to come visit?? Seriously.
So I'm trying to think of fun ways to celebrate the holidays here on the blog... maybe writing something I'm thankful for every day in November, but is that too cliche? Would that get boring? Maybe I'll just do it every couple of days. I just really want to celebrate and think about the holidays as much as possible... I don't know why I'm so excited about it this year but I just am. Maybe because we finally live in a place where we'll be able to fully experience the winter weather? (Well.... more fully than we ever did in Georgia, and certainly more than we'll get in Florida.) Maybe because we finally have an income and I can buy gifts for people without feeling guilty? Maybe because Abby is old enough to appreciate the meaning behind each holiday a little bit better? Who knows.... all I know is that I am very excited for the next two months. They are going to be great!
So.... when should I start listening to Christmas music? I usually make myself wait until after Thanksgiving, which is a good rule, but I don't think I'll hold out that long this year. Christmas music is just too good to only enjoy for 4 weeks. What do you think?
Thanks for reading this random, rambling post with no pictures. Mom and Dad, I promise the next post will include pictures of your grandkids! :)
*Okay, I don't really steal Halloween candy from kids. But it's a good idea, huh? And I know that my method works... I did try it once or twice. But I gave it back, I promise. :)
**The title of this post is called "Rabbits" because, growing up, my grandma taught all of us that on the 1st day of each month, the first thing you say should be "rabbits". It will bring you good luck for the rest of the month (British superstition). Some people think that you have to be the first person to say it, but I think you just have to say it before you say anything else. My sister Molly texts me at 2 a.m. on the first of every month (midnight her time) and "says" it. I think I beat her this year, though (but it was only 10 p.m. her time, so she'll probably say it doesn't count.) :)
Monday, November 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I have to confess that I decided to listen to one Christmas song last night. Once it was too late for any more trick or treaters to come by, I moved on. I probably won't make it a habit for a couple of weeks, though...
Post a Comment