Saturday, August 10, 2013

Family History, I am doing it

Here's a little update from my "101 in 1001" project.


13. Scan pictures from my grandparents' slideshow (pics of my dad and his siblings growing up) and make the pictures accessible for all of the Siebach family (discs, or online, or something)

Done!  I scanned some pictures from the slideshow when I was at the farm three years ago, but then this past July I scanned the rest of the slides and even scanned a ton of my grandparents' photos - over 1500 total.  The pictures start in the early 1950s (with a small handful pre-1950) and go all the way into the 1980s.  I even discovered some slides of my parents when they were dating at BYU, and pictures of my mom's apartment in Provo.  It was so fun to see pictures of my dad and his siblings growing up, especially since many of my cousins look just like my grandparents or their parents or even an aunt or uncle.  Genes are so interesting. I put all the pictures in Dropbox and sent the link to all the Siebach family so they could download them.

And to go even further, I scanned over 100 additional pictures of my ancestors and uploaded them into FamilySearch.org. These were mostly Stickland family photos (my grandma's mother's side).  It's so much fun to see the family resemblances there too!  She also knew lots of stories about people so we uploaded those online also, so that everyone in the family can enjoy them.

My grandparents:
                                                        

Grandma and her firstborn - my dad!
                                            

My dad was the cutest kid... I think he looks a lot like Emma's oldest!
                                                    
When my dad was little, his family spent a big portion of one summer up in York, Maine... just a few miles from where I grew up in New Hampshire.  In fact, see that building on the left that says "Goldenrod Kisses"?  Those saltwater taffies are a family favorite.  In fact, my sister Molly had some specially shipped to Utah and gave them away as her wedding favors a few years ago.

It's so inspiring for me to see my grandma as a mother of young kids.  She is such a strong woman - look at those 4 little boys!  Her second oldest (sitting next to her) passed away not too long after this picture was taken (he had cancer).  I come from a long line of strong women.  Four generations of women (in a row) have lost very young children - my mom, my grandma, my great-grandma, and my great-great grandma.  I can't imagine the heartache they experienced.  So thankful that families are forever.
                                  

A few years later, with my great grandparents:
                                     

My dad:
                                      

Grandma and my dad, right before he entered the LTM (Language Training Mission).  (It's now known as the Missionary Training Center, or MTC):
                                         
Seeing all the pictures makes me wish I had known my mom, my grandma, my aunts, etc. when they were my age - young moms, trying to figure out how to raise a family.  I hope I can do as good a job as they have done.

No comments: