Congratulations Mom and Dad for 26 years! There are many things I love specifically about each of my parents, but here's a little list of reasons why I love both of them (some of these things I really didn't appeciate when I was younger, but looking back I appreciate them):1. When we were in high school and had that huge lawn to mow, we thankfully had 2 riding lawnmowers and we would sometimes race each other while mowing, which made it fun (as fun as mowing can be, really). Then my parents decided that, as a family, we weren't getting enough exercise, so we sold the riding mowers and bought 3 push mowers. We HATED it! Looking back, I only appreciate it because I think it's funny.
2. On Valentine's Day, at TCCA, there was a program where kids could buy carnations for $1 to give to their friends. If we wanted to give them to our friends we had to use our own money, but Mom and Dad always gave us a dollar or two to give a flower anonymously to someone that we knew would probably not get a flower from anyone. I think that was a great lesson for us.
3. At the Church worldwide leadership meeting last month, Elder Oaks said that he doesn't remember ever learning anything at Church that he hadn't already learned at home. That's definitely true for me, too. Mom and Dad frequently had gospel discussions with us, whether it be at the dinner table or in FHE, or just driving in the car.
4. They let us have friends over and parties pretty much whenever we wanted. Mom would buy snacks for us, and Dad would clear out some space in the barn for our parties or concerts, and would even get lots of seating out so that everyone would be comfortable. Dad would also spend hours getting a big bonfire ready for us, if that's what we wanted.
5. I remember one time my dad drove me to someone's house to babysit (a young couple in the ward). He walked into the small apartment with me, and as they were getting ready to leave, he took me aside and told me to do their dishes for them, and to not let them pay me for babysitting. Similarly, Mom was always helping people in the ward, whether it giving people rides, making meals for them, or helping them clean their home.
6. Whenever we had friends spend the night, it could be expected that they would be included in the Saturday morning chores. That was embarrassing.
7. Dad was always willing to play the piano for us girls to sing in Church, and mom was always finding really nice songs for us to sing together.
8. On Saturdays Mom and Dad would take us to walk along our mile-long road and we'd pick up trash. That taught us a good lesson about taking care of the environment.
9. Mom and Dad supported each other. Dad used to play the piano for Mom's school concerts, and sometimes Mom would bring Dad lunches at work, or they'd meet and go out for lunch together.
10. We cleaned the Church building... a LOT. And when it snowed, Dad was always one of the first people to check on the Church building, making sure the sidewalks were shovelled and salted.
11. Even on long car rides, we weren't allowed to have anything with headphones (discmans, walkmans, etc) because Mom and Dad said it "shut us out" from the rest of the family. We didn't really like that rule at the time, but looking back I'm grateful. I hate when all some kids do now is listen to their iPods and don't really know how to have a conversation.
12. Dad drove us to seminary every single day, and then when we got home, Mom always had a nice hot breakfast ready for us.
13. In a nutshell, Mom and Dad taught us the importance of hard work and service. They taught by example, and also by just making us do it.
Thank you, Mom and Dad, for everything you have done for us and taught us. We love you!


2 comments:
Hannah, that was so good! I'm glad you did it. Sorry I never found that cd..
Thanks Hannah (and Emma) - that was very nice. Emma - find that CD!!
Post a Comment