Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Homework

Every week during Sunday School I go to an ASL class. There is one deaf woman in our ward, and only a few interpreters, so the Sunday School class is to teach ASL to anyone who wants to learn. Now, realistically, most people in the class will probably never feel comfortable enough with the language to actually interpret. I have been learning ASL for 4 years and I still feel very underqualified for it. In fact, I don't really interpret as much as I probably should. I do the hymns (mostly because I can practice many of them beforehand with a DVD I have), and I feel very comfortable interpreting prayers (especially the sacrament prayers). However, I would really like to improve. The ASL teacher in our ward (she just happened to be the best at ASL out of any of us, so she became the main interpreter) has told me that I have improved a lot since last fall, so that has really boosted my confidence. So... now I'm going to start co-teaching the Sunday School class with her! She let me borrow some of her materials, and she even gave me a homework assignment with instructions of what I should prepare to teach on Sunday. I'm nervous because the things I'm supposed to teach (some ASL grammar rules) are things even I haven't learned yet, but it's exciting. Hopefully this will really jumpstart my abilities. The signing isn't really an issue for me - I know most signs, I think - but the grammar is difficult. Like any other language, ASL has it's own unique grammar... it's similar to how Yoda on Star Wars speaks, actually! It's one thing to sign in a conversation with someone, but interpreting is a whole other difficulty. Especially in Sacrament Meeting, people tend to speak quickly, so you have to really be on your toes to listen to what they say, turn it all around in your head to make it fit with ASL grammar, and then sign it! And you still have to be concentrating on what the speaker is saying next, so you can sign that next. Whew, it's a challenge. But I enjoy it and hopefully someday I'll be really comfortable with it all. Also in our Sunday School class we are watching the short Joseph Smith movie (the one that came out in the Ensign a couple years ago) with the ASL interpreter on it, and that has been really interesting and helpful.

1 comment:

Abs said...

I think it's awesome that you can sign. What a cool way to contribute on top of your calling.