Wednesday, November 17, 2010

November snapshot

I can't believe we are already halfway through November.  Growing up I used to love when the days got shorter (I don't really know why), but now I really hate it.  I don't like driving in the dark, and I don't like that we hardly ever get to go running together when Garrett gets home from work.  On the other hand, I do like that the kids are tired and ready for bed by 7pm. (Unless, of course, Abby falls asleep during quiet time).


Abby is cute as ever.  She is definitely three, though.  Sometimes I feel like I'm dealing with a teenager, with the way she says "No!" and with how stubborn she is.  Some days it feels like I have to make everything a game. "Hey Abby, let's see how fast you can clean up your toys!  I'll count!" or "Abby, pretend your spoon is a shovel and eat all your dinner!"  It gets so exhausting.  I feel like I should just be able to say, "Abby clean up your toys, please", or, "Abby, finish your dinner", and she should just be obedient.  I shouldn't have to make everything a game.  But, that's what works, so I'll just keep plugging away I guess.  And I know you are probably thinking, "what's so exhausting about making things into a game?  Games are fun."  True, games are fun.  But it gets old.

Garrett showed Abby some origami last weekend and she loved that.  Now every time she sees a balled up piece of paper, she thinks it will turn into a nice little square if she blows into it.

Abby also really likes to help me in the kitchen, whether I need her help or not. :)  She drags a chair into our tiny kitchen and insists on pouring, stirring, and tasting.  Last weekend we made Rice Krispie Treats (or, as Abby calls them, "Ice Krispie Treats").  It's a pretty big deal when I make treats because it's a very rare occurrence in our house, so Abby was in heaven.

(Waiting.....waiting.... )

(...Got it!)
What can I say about Ellie?  What is it about her that makes me laugh every time she does something naughty??  A few days ago she was playing with Abby's little toy laptop, pushing the buttons and listening to the music.  Abby came and sat next to her to share it with her, and Ellie scooted over so that she was sitting in between Abby and the laptop.  Abby patiently moved over a little bit more so she could see better, and sure enough Ellie scooted over again so that Abby couldn't see.  Of course I was hiding my laughter, but at the same time I couldn't believe that she would be so naughty.  Where does she learn this stuff??



Like I said a few days ago, Garrett is almost done with his family medicine rotation and starts ER next week.   Garrett hates the ER for many reasons, the main one being that most of the patients who come in shouldn't even be there.  He also doesn't do well with shift work where the schedule changes frequently.


I have been keeping busy making Christmas presents.  We draw names in my family and in Garrett's, which makes it easier.  I am making something really great for my brother and his family, and I'm making the same thing for my family at the same time (I'll tell what it is & show pics after they get it!).  I will say this, though... I don't know what I was thinking, taking on a project of this magnitude.  I've already put in at least 10 hours (into each one) and I'm about halfway done.  Thankfully we've already finished the gifts for Garrett's sister & husband (Garrett made their gift in about an hour), but I still need to finish gifts for everyone else on my list.  Including Abby & Ellie... I'm making the neatest thing for them and I'll show lots of pictures when it's done.

I've also been reading a lot, since I finally got a library card.  Speaking of reading, I don't think I ever blogged about finishing the third book in the Hunger Games series.  I read it back in September when we were visiting my parents in Pennsylvania.  I won't bore you all with the details, but in short I hated it.  It seemed so disjointed from the other books and it was really boring.  The only redeeming factor was the very last page when the author finally revealed what boy the heroine ended up with (and it was the one I was rooting for).  But all in all, I was so disappointed in the book and consider the time I spent reading it, wasted. (If you liked the third book, good.  I'm happy for you.)

What else am I up to?  I have a list of things to do this week: fix my jogging stroller tire, finalize the Thanksgiving menu, organize my LR closet, teach piano lessons, and just clean.  I'll admit, I "straighten up" my house a lot, but actual cleaning doesn't happen as often as it should.  I'm also hoping to spend more time at the park (hopefully with my stroller!) since the weather has been just gorgeous lately.  It's times like this when I really miss having a private lawn so I can lay down on a blanket outside all day while the kids run around.

Other than that, not too much.  Just making (and constantly editing) my Christmas list.  You all remember all the things I want, right?  Some of those things are on my actual Christmas list, but most are still on my "someday in the future" list.  I'm nothing if not realistic.

1 comment:

lyjing said...

Your blog is a lot of fun to read. Keep up the good work! I especially love that "post call" picture. We have a few good ones too.