Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mei Mei (x2)



Even before our kids were born, Garrett and I agreed that we wouldn't give our kids any sort of special items that they relied on to be happy or calm.  You know what I'm talking about: blankies, stuffed animals, etc. Of course they OWN these items, but we specifically didn't attach them to any one thing when they were babies.  I think it's great that some babies have these, but we just didn't want to deal with it.

But when Abby was a year old, some good friends of ours gave her a purple CareBear for Christmas, and Abby was hooked.  She immediately named it "Mei Mei" (pronounced "may-may"), because there was a purple bear on a couple episodes of Ni Hao Kai-Lan named Mei Mei (it means "little sister" in Chinese... cute, huh?).  Mei Mei has been a part of our family ever since.  Thankfully, Abby isn't completely reliant on Mei Mei being around -- she regularly sleeps without her, and Mei Mei doesn't usually come places with us anymore.

A couple years ago, when Abby did regularly sleep with Mei Mei, it was always so funny because Abby always knew exactly where Mei Mei was.  As I would tuck Abby into bed, she would ask for Mei Mei and I would ask her where it was... and she could always tell me.  "She's in the bouncy chair, facing the wall in the corner of the living room."  or, "She's under the couch." or, "She's in bottom of the green box in the toy closet."  Pretty impressive.

Anyway, Ellie has recently taken a liking to Mei Mei.  She loves carrying her around (Mei Mei is the perfect size to be tucked in the crook of her arm), wrapping her in blankets, and rocking her.  However, since Mei Mei is Abby's one special toy, I felt bad making Abby share it.  So, I decided to get Ellie a Mei Mei of her own.  Do you know how impossible it is to find Care Bears in the stores?  And online, do you know how many different versions of Care Bears there are?  And some are really creepy looking!  So I turned to eBay and found exactly what I was looking for: a brand new pink version of Mei Mei... exactly like Abby's, same size, same maker and everything.  Best part? It only cost me $10, including shipping.

Needless to say, Ellie loves it.  She doesn't need it to be happy, thankfully, but she loves it. Unfortunately, Abby loves it too, but we're working on that. :)

Anyway, I just had to buy it.  I mean, who could say "no" to a cute face like that??

Abby & Ellie with their Mei Mei's, October 2010

1 comment:

Emma and John said...

Well if Abby ever has trouble finding Mei Mei, you know where to look....