I have a couple of favorite things I like to read for inspiration. Here are a few of them:
Favorite scripture right now: 1 Nephi 3:7 (in The Book of Mormon)
"...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."
It's reassuring to remember that the Lord will always give us a way to keep the commandments. It may be difficult and seem impossible at times, but the Lord will never ask us to do something without preparing a way for us to do that.
I have two favorite hymns, and both are under-sung in my opinion. The first one is hymn #240, "Know This, That Every Soul is Free." I just love the lyrics about freedom and choice and agency:
Know this, that every soul is free to choose his life, and what he'll be;
For this eternal truth is giv'n: That God will force no man to heav'n.
He'll call, persuade, direct aright, and bless with wisdom, love, and light,
In nameless ways be good and kind, But never force the human mind.
Freedom and reason make us men; Take these away, what are we then?
Mere animals, and just as well the beasts may think of heav'n or hell.
May we no more our pow'rs abuse, but ways of truth and goodness choose;
Our God is pleased when we improve his grace and seek his perfect love.
God wants us to return to him someday but he will not force anyone. Agency is the greatest gift he gave to us, his children. As a parent I can really appreciate how difficult that must be, to watch your children make mistakes but allow it to happen.
My other favorite hymn is #219, "Because I Have Been Given Much":
Because I have been given much, I too must give;
Because of thy great bounty, Lord, each day I live
I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see
Who has the need of help from me.
Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care,
I cannot see another's lack and I not share
My glowing fire, my loaf of bread, my roof's safe shelter overhead,
That he too may be comforted.
Because I have been blessed by thy great love, dear Lord,
I'll share thy love again according to thy word.
I shall give love to those in need; I'll show that love by word and deed:
Thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.
I am the first to admit that I have a lot of faults and shortcomings, but you could never accuse me of being ungrateful. I recognize that my life has been pretty easy. I've always had shelter, food, and love. I have lived a very blessed life. I never forget that, and one thing I am determined to teach my children is to be grateful. I think that having gratitude is one of the best qualities a person can have. Have you ever been around someone who is ungrateful? It's no fun at all.
One of the reasons Garrett really looks forward to a doctor's salary is so that we can use our money for good. There have been a few instances where we have learned that someone is struggling financially, and Garrett always tells me how much he wishes we had money so we could help. I am really, really looking forward to using our money to help other people.
And finally, another great quote is from President Uchdorf, who is one of the 12 Apostles of our Church. He said,
"God doesn't need us to love him. But oh, how we need to love him. What we love determines what we seek. What we seek determines what we think and do. What we think and do determines who we are, and who we will become."
**********
Up tomorrow: Letter to an ex
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment