Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day 44 - Something that fascinates me, and why

Growing up, I loved to act and sing.  I was always in the school play, and always vying for the lead role (only got it once, though - in second grade!).  Throughout high school I was always a supporting actress, which I learned to love (less pressure, less singing, more fun, and it's always great to have the funny roles).  However, I slowly started to become more and more fascinated with the "behind-the-scenes" work rather than being in front of the camera (or stage, or whatever).

Whenever we watch movies, I have to watch the special features afterwards.  I love the bloopers, I love the little features about "how it's made".  I also like to go to imdb.com ("internet movie database) and look up trivia about movies.  It is SO fascinating to me.  I love learning all the little-known-facts about the movies and actors/actresses.

When I was working at the BYU Library, I did a few projects helping the A/V team make promotional videos (for the library).  Sometimes I held the boom microphone (the huge microphone on a long stick, you hold it over the actors out of the camera's shot), sometimes I sat on the set while they got the lighting just right, sometimes I was in charge of the consistency of the shots (like, if we were shooting the same scene two times from two different angles, I had to make sure that the actors were consistent for each shot).  I loved doing all of that.  I think it would be so much fun to work behind the scenes of a movie... it wouldn't have to be anything important.  I just like seeing the inner workings of a movie (or tv show) being made and learning about everything that goes into it.

***********
Up tomorrow: A letter to myself a year ago

No comments: