I've thought for a while about this one, ever since I saw it on the list over a week and a half ago, but I have to be honest: I really can't think of a single person. I don't know if this is due to the fact that 1) I really do a good job of "forgiving and forgetting", or 2) I have a bad memory. Probably a combination of the two.
Yes, people have caused me pain in my life. But the thing about me is, I don't hold grudges (NOT that you have to hold a grudge to remember pain, but read on). I'm not saying that to put me on a pedestal or to say I'm perfect and don't ever feel anger towards someone, but the truth is that I forgive and (try to) forget pretty quickly. Life is too short to hold grudges or be caught up in hurt feelings or anger. I am (or try to be) an easygoing person. I don't let a lot of things bug me, and in general I just try to go with the flow. I don't really worry about what other people think of me, and it doesn't really bother me if someone doesn't like me. Why waste time worrying about those people when there are plenty of other people that do love me, and that I love too?
I have come to realize that this (forgiving easily) is truly a gift that I have, and I am so thankful for it. It's freeing to not hold grudges or anger in my heart. Of course I can think of painful experiences in my life, and I remember the people who caused that pain, but the pain is gone now so I don't see the sense in bringing it up again. It's over with.
Sometimes I think that maybe I just haven't had many painful experiences in my life, and that's why it's so easy to "get over" the pain I have experienced. But I don't think that's true. I've experienced heartbreak, and loneliness, and disappointment, and depression like anyone else has. Those are all part of life, ALL of them! Thankfully I haven't experienced those things to the degree that some people have, but like anyone else I have had people hurt me. Life is hard. Sometimes it's depressing. But life is also so full of wonderful and loving and interesting people that I can't really remember the specific instances where people have hurt me.
*********
Up later today (since this technically is yesterday's post): Favorite recipe(s)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
It is a good way to live, forgive and forget.
Post a Comment