Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 13 - Free day - Opinions, please

I can be really indecisive sometimes, especially when it comes to decorating.  I'll be the first to admit that I have trouble defining my "style".  I'm fine with that, but it makes it difficult to buy things for my house because I usually only like something for a short time and then I move on.  Or, I can't decide if I really like something or not.  Like my new lamps.

I bought some new lamps a few weeks ago for our living room.  They were much-needed, but I am having a really, really hard time deciding if I love them or not.  Are they too modern?  Will I still like them in 6 months?  Are they too short?  Will I be able to find an inexpensive shade that will go well with it? (I don't like the current shade very much - it's kind of shimmery) These are the questions that keep me up at night.  I bought them at TJ Maxx, so they weren't expensive (less than $30 each).

So, what do you think about them?  There are two of them, one on each side of the couch, but I couldn't get them both in the shot because Garrett's Nikon has a fixed lens on it right now and I don't know how to switch out the lenses (and our point-and-shoot is broken, waaahhh).

I understand that lots of people don't like to leave comments.  Comment anonymously if that makes you feel better!

Oh, and about the pillows.... I just made (!!) those pillow covers and I'm in love with them.  I covered the existing throw pillows that came with the couch.  I've been wanting those exact pillows FOREVER but couldn't find them online for less than $20 each.  So, I made them, about paid about $10 total for the fabric (although I could have bought a LOT less fabric... I only used about half of it).  Still have two more to make (with different fabrics) and I'll show them to you when they're done.




PS - Today is Garrett's and my 6th wedding anniversary!!  I would gush about it, but I just wrote a letter to my crush last week and I don't think Garrett likes too much "love-y" stuff on the blog, so I'm sparing him.  If you want to see a wedding picture you can read an old anniversary post here, from two years ago.

*************
Up tomorrow: A song from my childhood

5 comments:

JoAnna said...

The pillows are great! I hope to someday find the time to do those type projects. I'm not much of a decorator but I like the lamps. At first glance it looked a little short. What about a stack of vintage coffee table books or atlases underneath to give them a boost? Maybe? It's hard to say without playing around with them. I think they're a classic style though... you'll be able to use them forever. :)

Brenna said...

love the pillows; like the lamps. i need to see them in the context of the rest of the room, though. but i say keep them, and then if you find something else that you like better, then you can get the new ones and find another place for those, because they are cute.

pcubed said...

Like the pillow and the lamps with the couch! Love the new couch best. wish we would get a new one. But so far they all seem to work well together. :)

Justin and Lindsay Wilkin said...

Hannah you did a great job on the pillows! Your apartment looks like it's really coming together. I LOVE the new couch. The lamps also look great.

Happy Anniversary!!! Hopefully you can have a quiet moment after the kids go to bed, or get a babysitter (aka Rob and Haley, ha ha)

Andrea said...

I think that the lamps look great! I really like that look. I also love the pillows. Yeah for decorating a home!